Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

thoughts on the new OTC diet pill alli

So, I saw a mention online that the FDA approved a new non-prescription diet pill coming out this summer called alli (I don't know if it's pronounced like Allie or Ally).

Anyway it's not an appetite suppressant like the other OTC's like dexatrim, but it blocks some of the fat absorption I think.

I went to their website and also some medical ones to find out more. It's supposed to be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercising, for additional help.

I am leery of it in some ways, both b/c usually what sounds too good to be true usually is, and also b/c of reporting on big problems within the FDA these days. But I really want to believe there is something out there that can help boost my weight loss efforts, since I definitely need to lower my weight as my bmi is too high and it's putting starin on my back etc.

Thoughts? Rumors? Facts? Hearsay? Share it here....

2. # ADS

things that block fat absorption will probably also block the absorption of lipid-soluble vitamins, so that would be a concern. it's also the same active ingredient as Xenical, which can have some pretty funky side effects.

the FDA drug approval process is long, and i think they do really try to weed out drugs that are harmful, but they make mistakes just like any other person or organization. the only long-term human testing comes from long term use by humans, and that can really only happen once the drug is available.

honestly, i think unless there is a genuine medical reason you can't lose weight by exercise and diet, taking a fat blocker is probably not the best idea. obesity is extremely unhealthy, but it's possible for most people to get into a healthy weight range without diet pills. GlaxoSmithKline is also out there to make buttloads of money, and they do that by selling drugs. legally, they have to jump through a lot of hoops to protect peoples' health, but their bottom line is profit.

Please don't take them! Years ago my mom decided that she needed diet pills, and they ended up really screwing up her thiroid(sp?) I know they've improved on products over the years but it really doesn't seem like a good idea. If you're determined to try diet pills, please talk to your doctor first. Your best bet would be to go to a nutritionist and or a personal trainer. If you haven't already, maybe check out www.sparkpeople.com[/url] you can track your food intake and your exercise, and there are message boards to ask questions or just get support.

i was jut thinking about how profoundly fucked up it is, from a feminist perspective, that a drug like Xenical is becoming available over the counter, but birth control isn't. apparently women are too stupid to take care of their own fertility, but by all means, make sure to give them something to keep them skinny.

So exactly how is this different than Xenical? Is the dose per pill lower or something?

Personally, I am very anti-diet pill b/c it seems like there is ALWAYS something coming up bad about them...it's like they seem too good to be true and then oh! actually they can cause heart attacks or fainting spells or sudden death, etc. It seems to me that the risks are usually way higher than I'm willing to take on with for the sake of losing weight.

I don't want to seem like i'm encouraging people to take drugs just because, but I've taken Xenical and a Phentermine pill without any side effects. Additionally, it worked for me lose weight.

I was under the care of a doctor who's sole speciality was weight loss (and he was a real doctor, not some weight loss center type scam). I wouldn't take pills recommended by a family doctor unless he/she obviously did their own research on it and not just got them pushed on them by a pharm. salesperson who interupted the doctor's appointment schedule for a 2 minute presentation and a free lunch for the staff.

Over-the-counter pills i'm not sure about.....I question whether they would really work for people like me if they are okay enough to also be available to just anyone. (if that makes sense?)

I would love to be able to "just eat less and exercise more", but i've had 16 years of this struggle and I know by now that I need just some additional help.

purpledoor, it's just half the dose of Xenical. so you could take two instead of one and effectively be taking Xenical.

also, the deal with side effects and drug hazards is that a lot of people take the drug and DON'T have a heart attack or whatever. but if you do take it, you're accepting that you might be one of the few people that does have one.

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    also, the deal with side effects and drug hazards is that a lot of people take the drug and DON'T have a heart attack or whatever. but if you do take it, you're accepting that you might be one of the few people that does have one.
    It just seems to me that diet pills get recalled as a result of these problems a lot more than other drugs...or maybe they're just publicized more?

it's probably a selective memory thing; we're just thinking about diet pill recalls so we remember more of them than other drug recalls. if you're really interested in recalls, the FDA even has an RSS feed! here's their recalls website:

http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html

there is a link where you can look at drug safety alerts and recalls specifically. i did scroll through all of the recalls for 2007 out of curiosity and none of them are diet pills.

The idea of diet pills squick me out, I feel they can come to no good in the end, but having said that I've never struggled with weight so I'm noone to tell anybody how they should tackle the problem.

Can't believe these are called Ally. Like Ally McBeal! God I hope not but I can just envisage the marketing focus group around that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads