knitting supply stores in denver?

i am an amateur knitter in denver, and so far i've only bought knitting supplies at michael's. their selection of yarn is alright for beginners, but i'm starting my second scarf and i want something kind of funky/bold/interesting in texture and in color. also, michael's tends to not always have needles and other supplies in stock. i've found that michael's stocks a plethora of plastic needles, and although they're cheap they are difficult for me to use (the yarn seems not to move as freely - i prefer metal).

ANYWAY... are there any affordable stores with great selection in the denver area? and additionally... does anyone know of any knitter's classes that are free or cheap where i can brush up my technique? or denver knitting circles? any help would be much appreciated!

2. # ADS

try stitchnbitch.org for knitting circles:)

There's Aurora Yarn Supply on Illif and 225. It has a really wonderfull selection of everything, although a lot of it is aimed at machine knitters.

Showers of Flowers on Colfax by Casa Bonita is a nice shop, but has really shitty people running it, in my opinion. I went in there as an obvious knitting newbie, and they ignored me flat out. Even when taking my money.

My favorite is Knittycat on Arapahoe and Quebec in Greenwood Village. It's very small compared to the other two, but the owner is a wonderfull person and amazingly helpfull. I cannot recommend her shop highly enough. She was sooo nice to me when I came in as a newbie, and she's really nice about recommending yarns for your project while taking budget into account. Her shop's small, but worth it. Also, while I don't think she has beginner's classes, she told me she'd be more than happy to sit and help you out if you buy the materials there. I've seen her help other customers with their beginner projects.

Then there's a Knitted Peace on Prince street just off of the Main street in downtown Littleton. I only went there once before I knitted, so I can't give much of an opinion. They seemed nice, though.

There's another one whose name I don't know over on Youngfield in Applewood. My mom says they're good, but I've never been there. There's also one (Shuttles and Skeins? I can't remember the name) in Boulder that's very well known, and they have beginner's classes.

As for Stitch n Bitches: On the site that Anati recommended, there is one in Denver. I think they meet in the Highland's neighborhood in northwest Denver. There's also one organized through http://www.knitting.meetup.com. I went one month, and no one else showed up. Maybe it was a bad night or we simply passed by each other like two ships in the night. Where in town are you? Might be fun to start up a new one :-)

Anyways, that was probably more than you wanted to know about knitting in Denver. Hope that helps!

anati - thanks! i'll check it out.

amelia - that was super helpful! when i have some time off i will probably go check out the knittycat store that you recommend - it's closest to where i live anyway, and it would be nice to talk to the owner about my projects. i'm in south denver, near DU. let me know if you get a group together, i'd love some knitting companionship. ;)

amanda

Remove Ads

Ads