Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by alterego
    Ack, xuli, I wish you hadn't said that.
    Well, be happy knowing that because of your post, I'm about to go put "Skyway" on my CD repeat and I won't be getting anything done either ...

2. # ADS

this whole thread is warming my heart. [sniff]

Ah, nothing says early garage rock like The 'Mats.
    My personal favorite song was off of The Replacements Stink that started... "This is the Minneapolis Police, THE PARTY IS OVER... take your stuff and leave, nobody goes to jail 1 2 3 4!" Kids Don't Follow

erica and cackalackie were the winners.

Tommy Stinson is hotter than ever. Honest. Still, he's no Christopher Walken.

And I blame them for my smoking habit. Had my first ever "let's skip school today and hit the 7th Street Entry to see the all age 'Mats gig", and had my first cig. 1983. Arguh. Such memories...

FYI, if you are ever in Minneapolis and are a 'Mats fan, head to The Uptown Bar and Grill. Tommy's Mommy bartends there. She's a peach!

for anyone who is interested, i am listening to the new tommy album right now (it came out yesterday). its pretty good. no bash n pop, but good. but i am only on the first listen and not even all the way through yet, so this opinion may change.

he's playing here tomorrow, and i am so looking forward to it.

he'll be touring later with alien crime syndicate (who?) - i think his site http://www.tommystinson.com should have all the dates (and some purty pictures)

The 'Mats are one of those bands I couldn't listen to for years, because I felt so bitter/resentful/guilty about missing out on seeing them live whenever they played in my town. I was always either just a little too young to get into a bar, or couldn't afford a ticket, or didn't want to go alone or whatever.

This is an entertaining essay by an old classmate of mine about his "you have to hate the Replacements before you can love them" experience (scroll down to the second-to-last paragraph). Incidentally I know he's just one day older than I am, so unless this show was on his 19th birthday, he wasn't too chicken to go to a bar underage as I was.

Hearing them now just always makes my soul ache with nostalgia for something that never was. I love them so.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrin
    Hearing them now just always makes my soul ache with nostalgia for something that never was. I love them so.
    I think that's a perfect description of my feelings for them--not "something that never was" in the sense that you mean it, as I was way too young and grew up in Georgia, so I never had a chance at seeing them (although I have, thank god, gotten to see Paul a couple of times now) and being part of that scene, but they just make my soul ache for something. And everything by Paul continues to evoke that feeling. Like I lived another life that I have no memory of, but whenever I listen to them I can almost remember it and I miss it--whatever it was--a lot.

Tommy's pictures, by the way, kind of scare me--he looks so adult, so hard. I mean, I guess he is in his thirties now, but I feel like he should forever be this impish teenager. And I don't think we can fault him for his new album not living up to Bash N Pop--that's a really great album. But is anyone familiar with that band he had, I think it was called Perfect? My ex-boyfriend thought it was so horrendous (and he loves Bash N Pop and all Replacements-related music) that he wouldn't even let me listen to it. So it's got to be better than that, right?

i don't think perfect was bad. i guess it depends on your taste. i liked bash n pop better, but i thought perfect was good too. i get the feeling tho that they were better live. (i never saw them, i just get that sense from the way it sounds).

Re-reading this thread makes me think over how lucky I've been, growing up in Minneapolis in the 80's. I've seen The 'Mats more times than I can count, along with Soul Asylum, The Gear Daddies, The Jayhawks, and Run Westy Run (oh, and Husker Du). Sometimes I forget that they aren't MY bands, if that makes any sense. Bands that don't really make it huge like Pearl Jam, REM, or whomever. The cult bands that you can go see at the corner bar and sneak in when you are 15. Where you can smoke your first cigarette, cut school to wait in line 2 hours wearing all black and leather in May, have your best friend run to the liquor store and not get busted and drink Special Export in her mom's car after the gig. Smelling the wet smokiness that is The 7th Street Entry.

Aw, for the first time in years, I'm missing being 15. And I like that. Thanks ladies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Ads