Smells like a swimming pool

Sort of funny, but after spending $750 over the weekend getting almost every single repair that was needed on my car, a bottle of bleach tipped over in the trunk. So despite mopping up as much of it without ruining my clothes, my car now smells. There are probably worse smells to have in your car, but it's not pleasant when it's 100 degrees. Especially since I park outdoors, with no shade, and it's probably not safe to leave the windows rolled down. How in the hell am I going to get this smell (I feel like I'm at an indoor pool) out of my car?!

2. # ADS

Could be worse. When I was little, my cat peed on the back seat floor of our car. It was that old carpet - which wasn't as plastic as it is these days. Every time it rained, it smelled of cat pee.

neutralize it

If you could get your hands on some sodium thiosulfate, it would neutralize the bleach. This of course depends on whatever material your upholstry is made of. Good luck!!

it could be worse than that, this punk girl i know went to the market and got food including some meat. she forgot about it and left it in the trunk. now that is a funk that never leaves...

so try a couple of things. first use some resolve or something like it to clean the trunk really thouroughly. then use fabreeze. it does actually work. i left a window open in my car once during a rain storm and the foam in the seat got wet and smelled like wet dog after it dried. it was terrible. i soaked it with fabreeze about 2 times and once the smell of the fabreeze faded it no longer smelled like wet dog.

good luck!

Hm, not sure.. But you can try a liquid that hospitals use in their sick rooms. If I remember correctly, you just set the small bottle in a small room and the chemicals in it react with the air, or absorbs the smell, or something.. Anyway, if it can neutralize a smell like that, maybe it'll work on bleach..? I think you can find it at the pharmacy.

The Car talk guys always suggest coffee beans...heavily roasted!

doesn't baking powder absorb odors (at least in the fridge)? maybe that would help - and i second singing the praises of fabreeze!

Thanks guys! I'm liking the bulk bag of French Roast idea!

actually, a used filter full of coffee grounds is a good odor absorber. I've seen it used in some nursing homes and some hospitals for some disgusting funk.

The chlorine is really volatile. It will offgas soon enough, but heat and circulation will help.

Remove Ads

Ads