Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

High School Graduation Gifts

I happen to know a few girls who are getting ready to graduate from high school. I've just received my second invitation today.

Two questions:

1) For cash - what's the going rate these days? I'm sure that when I graduated (nearly 25 years ago!!!), I got $20 from most people who gave cash.

2) What is a special keepsake that would be appropriate for my two sweet nieces that I love?

Thanks!

2. # ADS

Hmmm... I just went through this with my sweet niece who is graduating from the 8th grade. So, not quite the same, since she is younger, but still my niece I love graduating.
    One thing is that you probably know these girls better than most people that will be bringing them gifts...So, you have the upper hand there;) Think of them and what the love to do, how they are celebrating their graduations. For example, my niece is sporty, preppy and girlie and having a pool party/BBQ to celebrate. We got her a Roxy polo(preppy and sporty), white dangle earrings(for the girlie side) and a new nice big beach towel(for her party and lots of summer use by the pool). We found everything at least 1/2 off, but it looks expensive and impressive all packaged up.
    Next ideas...
    1. A small scrap book, with some photos corners and cool markers. They can document their summer before college with their friends or that 1st year of college. Maybe even a throw away camera to go with it if they don't already have a camera.
    2. Do you sew? Or possibly etsy purchases... cool totes of some sort for carrying books around campus.
    3. Misc. stuff that may be needed by a 1st year college student, stuff they may not think of before going off to school. A toaster oven if allowed, recipes for making stuff in it. Shower caddy, soaps, thongs or flip flops. Flip flops are a must in those showers everybody uses!
    You may also talk to the moms and see if there has been anything asked for or needed.
    Hey and if all else fails cash is always wanted and needed! ;) I think $20-30 depending on what you feel. But knowing crafties you can usually do a much better gift for less if you need too.
    Good Luck! Hope I was at least help getting the ideas flowing!

when i graduated from high school, my godsister gave me a treasure box w/ a lock to save stuff throughout my college years. i really enjoy looking in it whenever i miss those college days.

The treasure box sounds like a good idea.

When I graduated, my mom gave me an iron. I was like, "wow. thanks. an iron." The real kicker was that it was my graduation/18th BIRTHDAY gift. Ha. In my mom's defense, I still use that damn iron. She's always been Mrs. Practical...

This is tough.

My poor parents. When my sister graduated, my parents got her a bike to take to college. The following year when I graduated, I figured I would get a bike as well. Instead, they gave me a gold necklace with an "S" charm on it. I hated it. They tried for the keepsake and I wanted the practical.

I think the other keepsake gift that I received that backfired was the fancy pen.

If they are off to college, they really do need the practical stuff. I'd keep the sentimental stuff on the order of a favorite book or something.

The secretly really touching gifts that I received were
    -a gift certificate to my school's book store. The extra few minutes to order such a thing online impressed me more than just writing a check I suppose. (The same thing with rolls of quarters for laundry - nicer than just $20)
    -the occasional care packages my aunt sent during my first year at school.
    -a conversation with my Dad where he told me that he hoped that Ann Arbor (where I went to school) would always feel like home. (which seemed hokey in the moment, but turned out to be true)

As for the going rate, I'm not sure. On the one hand it depends on your situation and relationship with the graduate. I was just invited to a graduation party and I was thinking I needed to go back and see what I gave this girl's older brother two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by elixirbeth
    When I graduated, my mom gave me an iron. I was like, "wow. thanks. an iron." The real kicker was that it was my graduation/18th BIRTHDAY gift. Ha. In my mom's defense, I still use that damn iron. She's always been Mrs. Practical...
    I wish my mom had given me something practical like an iron. At this point I am not sure what I got, (or even if I got anything) an iron would have been awesome.
    If you want to spend more you could pick up a sewing machine. It seems like they are all 25$ at the thrift store... I would bring a standard threadded bobbin, thread, needle and piece of fabric to check out the machine while you are there, but that could be cool if she has any interest in sewing. If you want to buy a new one you could get a low end singer or something.

When i graduated my mom made me a scrapbook of the family that i still treasure. That would be my suggestion...or a dorm room cook book and a journal/picture frame with family pictures in it.

A gift certificate to Amazon.com for text books, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_stroozi
    A gift certificate to Amazon.com for text books, perhaps?
    good one! it could be used for anything, really.

What I did for my brother was a shadowbox with some of his high-school mementos and pictures in it. I found some scrapbook paper on clearance that was custom for his school, and had my other brother take all the medals out of the other one's room for me, so it would be a surprise.

The best part is that it only cost me about forty dollars!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads