finally subscribing to bitch.

The new issue of Bitch is phenomenal, as usual. So there I was, sitting in Barnes and Noble, and I ripped out one of those discount-subscription things from the magazine as I sat there reading and reading and reading.

Are you not supposed to rip those things out if you don't buy the magazine? Probably not.

Anyway, I'm just super-impressed with the new issue. It's just absolutely great. Every single article is interesting. I recommend going out and buying it or subscribing or something. It's just really great right now.

Last month the editor was on campus at the college I'm was visiting (and will be attending in the fall), and I was freaking out like a nutcase, and these other girls looked at me like I was insane. So I like Bitch! A lot!

Then again, these were the same girls who didn't really hang out with me much because I wasn't a lesbian, although I'm supportive of gay rights and women's rights. Sounds like a Bitch article in the making to me.

2. # ADS

I've only read Bitch once, and only read one article, but I remember it being good. maybe I should pick up the newest issue...

Bitch is great. I always get so happy when it's in my mailbox!

I think they are doing a subscription drive right now to raise funds. I don't really understand the inner workings of a magazine, but, apparently, it helps them to have the money in advance, even though the subscription price is less than the cover price. By subscribing, you'd be saving money and helping spread the feminist love at the same time.

I love Bitch! It's the best magazine ever. They have articles that I cite for papers all the time. They are interesting, thought provoking. I love how they don't have to answer to the same bullshit that is in other women's magazines, like how to give blow jobs and lose ten pounds. Plus they give you tips to places where you can volunteer or be active in the community.

This issue has a really great article on being hot for teachers, something that I can totally relate too. I had this huge same sex crush on my film professor last quarter.

I had really liked Bust for a while but then I started finding the last few issues less and less interesting and I let me subscription lapse. I've been looking for a magazine similar to the way Bust used to be - maybe Bitch will fill that void. . .

Bitch is a fantastic magazine! i've had a subscription for a while now, and i've never been disappointed. I know that their new issue is out, but i haven't received it yet (i live in canada so it takes a bit longer). every day at approximately 2:15, i run out the mailbox with such anticipation. of course, i've been disappointed, but fingers crossed that today's the day. i love me some feminist literature, especially when it comes in magazine form (my ultimate guilty pleasure).

roxy the magazine whore

Quote Originally Posted by CraftinFool
    I had really liked Bust for a while but then I started finding the last few issues less and less interesting and I let me subscription lapse. I've been looking for a magazine similar to the way Bust used to be - maybe Bitch will fill that void. . .
    I like Bust, but (and I hope this doesn't sound pretentious) it doesn't always offer the most engaging articles on women. Like, with Bitch, I don't really KNOW what the articles will be about, whereas I can guess with Bust.

Also, I'm not sure Bust always picks the "right" celebrities for the articles. Like Kelly Osbourne. I guess they were looking for a more normal girl with a healthy weight, but I find it so impossible to relate to Kelly Osbourne (and I'm a teen girl who is definitely not a size four). I could relate better to Jena Malone, who really is independent and who chopped off her hair and who moved away from Los Angeles and who picks good films to be in. And that's just my minor irk with Bust.

But I'd definitely recommend Bitch.

I would subscribe to Bitch even though it costs more than the cover price for me to subscribe here in Canada! (I'm moving soon, so I'm waiting until after that.)

I read the thing cover to cover, and I start with the letters -- I love how there are often discussions through those letters that span several issues.

I'm sickeningly fascinated by (most) things pop culture so it's so nice to have a place to read about such things without feeling guilty or used, like I do on the rare occasions when I give into checkout lust and spend $4.95 on People. (Though reading Us at the dentist feels pretty damn good.)

As for the Bust vs. Bitch thing, they really are different magazines and serve different purposes. Bitch is in many ways an academic publication (as Miss E said, perfectly quotable and legitimate for study!). I see Bust as a feminist version of your typical newsstand women's magazine. It's the smart alternative to Cosmopolitan. (And Venus often seems to be the smart alternative to Bust, but I digress.)

Like, when I'm in an airport wanting something easy-to-read and I look at a newsstand, it's so awesome to have Bust there so I don't end up buying a fashion rag. Bust isn't perfect, but it's got Ayun Halliday! And smut!

But still, I agree, if the choice is between Bust and Bitch, I'll take the latter.

Odd but true.I can't get a subsription because it really bothers my roomate and godmother to read "bitch".When I do buy a copy I have to rip off the front page.
    I did order a subscription when they started and it never came...Maybe I should call them on that...maybe not since I really shouldnt be getting it right now.

Remove Ads

Ads