Extra-long period?

This is kind of gross, but I'm kind of freaking out, and I can't get in to see my doctor until Tuesday and I thought maybe someone here would know something about any of this.

I've had my period for two weeks, and I'm starting to get a little freaked out. I'm currently on birth control (TriNessa) and have been taking it EVERY SINGLE DAY at the time I'm supposed to take it, the time I've been taking it for months. I was not supposed to start my period until tomorrow. The past week hasn't been normal bleeding, it's been pretty steady "old" blood (but it never totally stopped. I'd go through a "light" tampon a day.), but today it started bleeding the "fresh" stuff again.
    I'm really confused about all of this. I haven't made any changes to my diet or schedule or started taking any new medications or vitamins or what have you. I looked up "prolonged menstruation" on Google, and more than a few websites for "menorrhagia" popped up. I'd be more worried if I were gushing like a victim in Hostel, but still.... Two weeks? When I'm on super-duper birth control?

Has this happened to anyone? Or a friend, or friend of a friend, or etc? What did you do about it? What do you recommend?

*Edited to add: I've been cramping pretty much the entire time. Maybe 4 days went by when I didn't feel much, but overall I've had cramps to the point where I need to take tylenol or something for them.

2. # ADS

My mom had pretty similar symptoms about a year ago. She thought she was beginning menopause. She ended up having benign cysts on her ovaries. Her doctor isn't too worried about it since she is "normal" most of the time. My mom is in her late 40's, is finished having children and usually doesn't have any problems so her doctors just monitor the cysts. I have other friends that have a similar problem and have had the cysts removed. They are just now starting their families, so the cysts pose more of a problem for my 25-35 year old friends than they do my mom.

Good luck with the doctor and I hope your feeling better soon.

Fibroids can also cause heavier bleeding, and more frequent and longer periods.
    My Mom had fibroids on and off thru much of her reproductive years, and they were removed a few times. She finally had a hysterectomy at the age of 52, because they were causing her such pain.

Definitely get to your doctor, though, and find out for sure. There are surely better treatments for stuff like this than there were 20 yrs. ago when my mom went thru her surgery. I'm going to hazard a guess and say one of the diagnostic tests they may use to see what's going on will be an ultrasound

I had a friend in college who this happened to. She went to her doctor and he told her not to worry about it until it had been a month... well that was not the answer she wanted so she found another doctor who switched the type of birth control she was on and the problem was solved. I am not sure what she was on and then what she was switched to other than what she was switched to had a butterfly on the case... (random memories from 10+ years ago, sorry).

If it is not as simple as that there could be any number of problems, go to your doctor when you can get in, but then don't let them tell you not to worry for another 2 weeks like they did to my friend.

Good luck!

you didn't mention how long you've been on the birth control... if you started recently, within the last few months or so, it could be from that. also, if it's a low-dose pill, it could be breakthrough bleeding.

it could also be fibroids or cysts, but it could just be random, too. i've skipped periods and had weird extra-long periods for no apparent reason before. i had an ovarian cyst once, and it hurt like a proverbial motherfucker.

The TriNessa is the first birth control I ever went on, 3 years ago. I was on it for I think around a year and a half or two years, and then I was on Yasmin for less than a year before switching back to this in January of this year. It's also not a low-dose pilll.

I hope I just have a brief bout of abnormal wiring; the thought of cysts or anything else never even crossed my mind. Eep. Thanks for the responses, though.

You know, this happened to me recently. The month before this, actually. It freaked me out, in part because I've also been dizzy. I'm going to see my doctor. It happened to be my last pack of pills until I renewed my prescription, so I decided to take a month off and use other measures. Until last month, I had been hella regular.

It could be increased stress, a change in activities, maybe a diet thing. If you have other symptoms, you should see a health care provider.

((with me, it's TriLevlen))

Remove Ads

Ads