Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you listen to when you create?

Although I dont consider myself a creature of habit, I've found that everytime I do certain crafts, certain music gets me in the mood. So much so that I've given paper-making instructions as "step 1: find your Shakira CD." So it got me thinking, what do you listen to when you craft? Do you tailor your music to your project? Do you look for music to pump you up? Or music that calms you down?

I generally listen to sing-along music when I make recylced paper, my most common craft. Girl power ballads. Like Indigo Girls, Angie Hieman, Mindy McReady, Bonnie Raitt, Joan Jett.

How about you?

2. # ADS

i usually have the tv on for background noise. i love british stuff, so the a&e afternoons with hercule poirot and barnaby always are a good thing - oh, and about a boy, or the lord of the rings, or harry potter.

for music, indigo girls, luscious jackson, 10,000 maniacs. i have indigo girls concerts on dvd, so i sometimes popthem in.

i don't listen to anything in particular. i usually put a video on when i am beading, to avoid eyestrain. other than that, anything i would listen to otherwise is fair game. i'm going through some kind of phase where i mostly listen to country and rap, so it'll be like, the Dixie Chicks and Cypress Hill.

I generally don't put on anything specific, and many times I don't even bother. I end up becoming so focused on what I'm doing, that I block out any noise around me. I wouldn't even notice if a favorite song came on!

When I was in grammar school, I would read in the large noisy cafeteria after I was done with my lunch. My peers and teachers were amazed that i could actually retain what I had read during that very noisy period of time.

That ability to focus hasn't left me, although i tend to be very unfocused in other ways.

By the same token I can't understand how my DH can be playing WOW, and still manages to follow the diologue of whatever show I'm watching on TV, even though he's across the room and can't even see the screen.

And that was my very long, drawn-out answer! LOL!

I tend to have the tv on in the background. I'm usually listening to some kind of documentary or I pop in a much loved movie. I need the background noise, but I don't want to have to watch closely or pay too much attention!

Crafting is pretty much the only time I let myself watch TV. I love to knit slightly vintage-y things so I especially like to knit while watching old movies (or movies/shows set in the 30's-50's). My local PBS station has started rerunning All Creatures Great and Small recently and there are some neat looking sweaters on some of the characters. If I'm not watching TV I usually read and knit so then I generally don't put music on because I find it distracting.

On the weekends i tune the radio to npr and listen to car talk/this american life/wait wait don't tell me etc.

during the week i usually listen to old records my dad gave me like led zeplin, the who, the beatles, earth wind and fire, simon and garfunkle, etc. There is nothing better than painting while listening to a scratchy record player play 'cecilia'

I do the npr thang, too. My best creative music seems to be 60s and 70s Bob Dylan.

depends on my mood but it's usually music that sparks me or something I really dig.

I'll put on some classical music or some jazz depending on my mood.

but I also dig punk music
    or jam bands.

I match the music to my mood and let the creativity flow.

When I'm knitting I like to listen to knitting podcasts-Sticks & String, Cast On, Knit Picks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads