Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Job interview dress code--any thoughts?

I'm going for a job interview in a couple of days. I'm finishing with my fellowship next summer and I'm looking for a permanent job. Anyway, one of the other fellows directed me to a webpage that had advice for job interviews and it said that it's best to dress as conservatively as possible meaning that women should wear skirts.

My problems are 1) my best suit has pants and I don't have the time or the money to get a new suit 2) all the women's suits that I come across come with a pencil skirt, which-even if they're the right size-make me look like I'm wearing a sausage casing (I'd like to think I'm not THAT overweight, but I am a bit thick around the middle).

I've kind of been assuming that I should just wear the suit I'm most comfortable in and go with that--pantsuits are more "conservative" in my opinion anyway since your legs don't show. Or would it be smarter to wear a skirt since this job is kind of a big deal? What do you guys think--does a "lady doctor" HAVE to wear a skirt to an interview?

-------------------------
    www.craftnerd.blogspot.com

2. # ADS

I worked at a place with a very strict conservative dress code (an ivy league business school) and even they said female professors could wear skirts or pants. Of course if they wore a skirt it had to be below the knee, with hose, and with closed toe and heel shoes.

I personally would wear the pants suit, because it is what you are more comfortable in. It's conservative enough. That way you can focus on the interview, which is the important part.

wear the pantsuit if that's what you have and it is more comfortable to you. i think it is also more modern to wear a pantsuite. wearing any type of suit at all these days is pretty formal. just don't wear overly sexy shoes or a lowcut blouse, and you'll be fine.

wear what you are comfortable in. i've always been advised to wear the skirt suit and i never did, because i was not comfortable in it. i rarely wear skirts as it is. just make sure you look professional, that's all.

if they say "wear a skirt" then you should wear a skirt. you definitely want to follow those directions for job interviews. if it just says "conservative" then i agree that pants seem more conservative than skirts!

i don't think you're necessarily supposed to be comfortable for job interviews, especially formal ones. from my experience (and what i've been told by career counselor types) is that it's best to really toe the line, dress-wise.

i always wear a suit to an interview. it shows that the job is important to you. i do prefer to wear the black pants / blazer option though. it's a little more conservative and seems to work good for me. i have interviewed people in a past position, and i can say from experience that dress did play a role in my decision making process.

I vote skirt. Definitely. Knee-length or below. Suit jacket as well.

I would go for the pantsuit.

skirts are traditionally more conservative... provided they are of a conservative length, that is. that said, you could go ahead and wear the pantsuit and try to dress it up a bit. style your hair as nicely as possible, and maybe pick out a SINGLE PIECE of nice jewelry (a pair of pearl earrings, for example) to accentuate your professional look.

HOWEVER, if it's at all in your budget to INVEST in a nice skirt, i would go for it. depending on the job you are interviewing for, you may need to continue dressing up for work each day.

i am a teacher, and i have gone for a record number of job interviews in the past 5 years. at the risk of jinxing myself, i must say that i have always gotten the job. i sincerely hope that it's because i am highly qualified and a DAMN GOOD TEACHER. however, i think that the suit (w/ skirt) that i bought 5 years ago has certainly given me a leg up. that suit paid for itself! first impressions mean a lot when it comes to interviewing.

GOOD LUCK!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads