plant ladies... HELP!

I left town for a long weekend and my no-good partner completely neglected my plants. When I looked at them this morning, they clearly hadn't seen a DROP of water since Saturday morning (today is Wednesday). They are a crunchy brown mess. My plants sit on the fire escape (illegal, I know, I know) and get lots and lots of sun. I only have a few-- tomato, basil, thyme, peppermint, and rosemary. The only one that didn't get scorched was the rosemary (of course).

Is there ANYTHING I can do to save my babies?

RANT: Gosh, I'm SO ANGRY! >:-O This is the first summer I have ever attempted to grow anything, and they were doing SO BEAUTIFULLY before I left! GGGRRRR!!!!!! ... at least he admitted that he didn't take care of them, and didn't try to lie to me about it...

2. # ADS

There's no reviving crunchy brown. Or crunchy gray.

Wilted soft stems and leaves may come back.

Keep them out of the sun. You can put a tent over them temporarily, but they need a couple of days of shade. Remove fruits or buds for right now. That's an unwarranted stressor, and they probably won't last anyhow.

Trim the crunchy stuff, but leave the live tissue as much as possible. So you may have a tomato leaf that is mostly brown but has a green vein through it. That little bit of green on a mostly dead plant is possibly still providing sustenance to the plant.

If you can loosely bag or tent each plant to hold in humidity, that's good.

Water thoroughly of course, but don't let the pots sit in water. Ten or fifteen minutes is okay to rehydrate the rootball, but no more than that.

You probably have fried roots in the pots so your plants will take a while to come back.

Good luck.

thanks for the tips, lizzy... :-\

it's not looking good for the mint. at least i got to make one incredible batch of ice cream with it, so it wasn't a total waste of effort.

Actually, the mint may do the best of the soft stem plants. It will have white runners under the soil surface and even tiny bits with a leaf node can survive. Mint doesn't thrive in heat, though. Keep it cool and damp and wait until fall to toss it.

If these are still in tiny three or four inch pots from the nursery or market, they probably cooked all the way through, though. In that case, I'd just get more.

Remove Ads

Ads