Thread: poor boys :(

poor boys :(

over the course of a day, my job brings me to this one farm in my area. a couple weeks ago i met these two boys, honza and david, from the czech republic that are working there as a student program type thing. every day i see them they tell me how they were up working until 3 am, and the owner of the farm wakes them up at around 5am to begin working for the next day. this is crazy! id really like to do something for these kids . . . eg give them some kind of gift to make their days a little easier or to make their time off more worthwhile. any ideas? ive baked them a pie, and am currently making them a huge batch of cookies, but besides food, cant think of anything.

2. # ADS

It kind of sounds like the farmer is taking serious advantage of the student work program, maybe borderline abuse, or did I read wrong?

I agree!!! It sounds llike he should be reported! How horrible...

What exactly are they doing until 3AM? Have they said? All the farmers I know definitely rise at sun-up, but usually quit at sundown.....

that is true it does sound like hes taking serious advantage of the program . . . but i dont know if i want to stick my nose into anyones business. im not exactly sure what the heck they do so late at night. ive heard of farmers spraying pesticides at 10 pm so its ok to work the next morning . . . late july/august is when things really pick up on farms and i know this guy takes his farm (way too) seriously. gaa i felt so bad i wanted to cry.

http://www.ciee.org/Study/index.cfm

Many come from this organization. From my understanding, the real students come with a good basic understanding and ability to speak in English. If these "students" have trouble understanding/speaking English, I would be suspicious. They may be stuck there posing as students while they earn off their travel and boarding. The same thing happens with foreign women who want to come the US and then end up as sex slaves at those Oriental Spas by the interstate. There was just a bust of one of these places in Vermont or New Hampshire. Horrible story, but it happens here -- even in the USA.

I don't think you would be sticking your nose in the farmer's business if you asked the guys questions. If they cannot understand you, i'd anonymously report the issue to immigration. How would the farmer know? If he is a bad farmer/slave driver, do you really care if you hurt his feelings!?

I would give them some time off.

Barring that, perhaps some comfortable socks, sunglasses, a straw hat, a waterbottle, a better job.

Or maybe just give their boss a talking to.

Be sure not to give any farmers any moisteurizer. They need callused hands to get through the day.

Remove Ads

Ads