Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Going to NYC-need advice

I am taking my two, groovy 15 and 17 year old daughters to NYC in the spring for a last hurrah, female bonding trip before the oldest goes to college. We want to do a day or two of touristy sight seeing and spend the rest of our time thrifting, shopping, fooding, coffee-house hopping, listen to local musicians, checking out galleries and a show or two. I need some advice for decent (affordable) places to stay. We are open to hostel-type places, too. Recommendations for hotels, restaurants, thrift/vintage stores, yarn or other groovy crafty things to see and do are greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS

When I went to NYC last summer, I stayed at the Hotel Belleclaire, on 77th St. just west of Broadway. It was a shared bath room, small but clean and pleasant, just a few steps from the subway and within walking distance of Central Park and the Natural History Museum. I booked my room online through Expedia, I think. Anyway, I'd recommend it.

I usually stay with a friend, but I did stay here one time a few years ago because there were too many of us crashing in one friend's tiny tiny apartment! http://www.jazzhostels.com/

I stayed at Jazz on the Park and it was clean and safe and not fancy at all but totally not sketchy. My only complaint was that it's in the Upper West Side, which I think is rather boring (or boring by NY standards!)...but I just checked out their website and I see Jazz on the Town (it must be newer) located in the East Village.

Which brings me to my next point, for your non-touristy day I would just walk around the East Village. There are so many shops and restaurants and coffee shops and Tompkins Square Park is nice for sitting outside. I looove this neighborhood and it could keep you occupied all day long!

have fun!!!

My bf and I went to NYC for the first time this last June. At his suggestion we went to see the Statue of Liberty. Please let me warn you that this particular tourist trap is a most-of-the-day affair which is bound to result in terrible sunburn and entirely too much sweat from waiting in multi-hour long lines. Line to buy ticket. line to get on boat. line to get off boat. line to get back on boat.... Then, when we got there, she was just a big green lady. A big green lady you cant go in without a pre-scheduled appointment made days before. And as for shows, the prices get much higher on the weekend, so if you can get a weeknight free, or catch a matanee, I would recommend it.
    This was longer than i meant it to be! I hope you love NYC. I know I did!

i agree with andi. the statue of liberty is a waste of time. take a stroll around Battery Park (the park a the bottom of Manhattan)... you will have an amazing view of the statue and none of the lines.

if you want some tips on restaurants, PM me. my partner and i are serious foodies, and i can recommend places for all budgets.

I live in NYC. I can't suggest a cheap place for you to stay but I can suggest things for you to do. Definitely visit the Village and lower Manhattan. There's lots of things to do. One of the places i really love here is Central Park, our concrete jungle. There's shopping around 34th Street. Time Square is always a tourist attraction but it gets too crowded at times. And if you feel like traveling, go visit Coney Island in Brooklyn (that's my neighborhood!)

although i live so close to the city that i have never spent the night in a hotel there (crashing on a couch doesn't count), i've used this website for some good savings.
    http://www.nycvisit.com/
    check out the discounts if you have amex

i strongly suggest http://www.walknyc.com/ if you are interested in some good walking tours.

Thanks for all the suggestions (please keep them coming). I think we'd like to stay somewhere in lower Manhattan becuase that seems to be the place where we will find what we are looking for. A friend suggested a boat tour that takes us past the statue and other sights and that will probably be the extent of our touristy activities. Got to stop by Etsy Labs and still looking for yarn/fabric/art stores to check out.

come to my neighborhood, williamsburg! spend a day here and check out the fabulous shopping, food, and galleries. it is one subway stop into brooklyn and is super fun.

http://www.staythenight.com/ looked like it would be fun!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads