Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vintage Linoleum Floor Patterns

Eventually I'm going to re-do my kitchen floor, which is covered in some embossed, vinyl sheeting too horrible to describe.

I'm really wanting to use linoleum squares, but not do the boring checkerboard thing. I've seen some really specatular patterns created with linoleum, but am having a hard time finding resources that show linoleum pattern ideas.

The only thing I found was this site, with one example (click on "Real Antique Kitchens" in the upper left corner to see a pattern that looks a bit like plaid):

http://www.antiqueappliances.com/refrigerators.htm

Any suggestions for where to look? thank you!

2. # ADS

Oh, goodness. That site is the last thing I needed to see. COVET!

I know there's a store in NYC that specializes in vintage wallpapers and linos. Martha Stewart did a segment on them a million years ago. I'm wondering if some of the stuff you've seen was pre-printed lino rather than mosaic-style stuff that someone did.

http://www.secondhandrose.com/ good lord, have you seen this? I'm not sure if this is the place I'm talking about or not, but it sure is fun to look at.

I don't think I've helped you at all!

Oh, damn you sistasmell! Now I want to paper every room in my house!!
    That printed linoleum is incredible!

I have this great old decorating book, and there are some neato floors in there. This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.sublimestitching.com/images/floors.jpg

Cool, huh? So, I'm looking for strictly what you can do with a square, mmmaybe cutting squares in half, or corner to corner. Nothing too fancy, just really inventive. I mean, isn't there already a website devoted to this sort of thing??? ;)

Those floors are very, very cool.

I just have to share an idea done by some people I know. I was standing in their kitchen at a party - not even the first time I'd been in it - when I suddenly looked down and noticed the unusual interlocking pattern on the floor.

And then I realized what it was - old school desktops, the kind with the armrest. They fit together perfectly; each two in a "yin-yang" arrangement made a rectangle. The owners of the house said a friend had gotten these desktops from some salvage place and didn't know what to do with them, and there just happened to be exactly enough to cover their kitchen floor.

I covet a floor like that now.

Get your hands on a Sears catalogue from the 30s, or 40s, or 50s. They will have several examples. If I can find mine, I'll scan them for you, but I won't promise anything.

I love those old linoleum designs.

when using tile its basically a grid or graph, right?

So I bet you could use one of those programs that make crosstitch patterns of anything.

In the 90s in the midwest it was popular to apply dots of puffpaint in a crossstitch pattern to make a duck or teddy bear. the colors were limited, so a gal had to choose a simpler design.

Smocking designs would translate well, and Im sure you are familiar with the patterns of x's they made on gingham.

And you know you have to become a master with a utility knife to tile an old house, each side has to be custom cut, so you'll be a whiz at reducing 12 inch squares to 4 inch, or in half for triangles.

I know you're not looking for checkerboard(which is what the website shows a lot of), but marmoleum comes in LOTS of beautiful colors & you can do whatever you want.......
    http://www.themarmoleumstore.com/web...f?OpenDatabase
    look under "photos" for ideas

that's funny- we're in the process of tearing up several layers of old vintage linoleum in our house, and i recognized a few from secondhandrose. they were in the living room and are too nasty to use, but i'm saving a square from each pattern to frame and hang when the house is done, to remind us of the history of the house.

You may try getting a hold of a book that is available through Preservation Books, a division of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. They put out well researched, quality materials. They offer this book:

PROTECTING AMERICA’S
    FLOOR COVERINGS FOR
    HISTORIC BUILDINGS: A
    GUIDE TO SELECTING
    REPRODUCTIONS
    A catalog of more than 475
    reproduction floor coverings.
    ISBN 0-471-14382-0
    ORDER NO. 2FH3 283 PAGES $19.95

I couldn't find it on the website, but it is in the pdf catalog.

www.preservationbooks.org is the website.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by wisheveled
    when using tile its basically a grid or graph, right?

So I bet you could use one of those programs that make crosstitch patterns of anything.

Yes! Exactly. What an excellent idea!!

Thanks for all the helpful info! Looking at old catalogs is a great thought. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the possibilities, but would like to have a floor that makes me happy.

I'm pretty sure I want to outline the border/baseboards in one color (bluish grey). But that's all I know for now! Does anyone have the first issue of Living Room Magazine? There was a feature on a woman's house in Brooklyn, and her kitchen floor had been painted by the old man who'd lived there previously. I remember really liking it and thinking it would work in tile.

More suggestions are welcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads