(soon to be) new cat owner

My boyfriend and I have decided to adopt a cat. While our adoption paperwork is being reviewed, I've been trying to stock up on cat supplies.

I have never had a cat before - only dogs. So, this is new territory for me. Does anyone have one of those automatic cleaning litter boxes? Do they work? Are they worth it?

We also have 2 dogs - a cairn terrier and a bull mastiff mix. Can anyone recommend cat toys that your dogs don't bother with or can "share" with cats. I'm a little worried that the dogs (well, the big dog) will choke on some of those little cat toys on the market.

2. # ADS

Re: (soon to be) new cat owner

Quote Originally Posted by gogogo_audio
    Does anyone have one of those automatic cleaning litter boxes? Do they work? Are they worth it?
    Congrats on the new cat! I have two cats and have tried the automatic cleaning litter box before. YMMV but it wasn't the best for me because my cats don't always cover their number 2. So it would sometimes get stuck to the tines of the rake. I'm sure it's worked for lots of other people, though!

Ask the vet where you take your dogs.

Yah for new kitties!

I don't have an automatic litter box (really not a good place for it), but if you don't go that route I recommend getting ones with covers and little mats for outside (I use the plural because you are supposed to have one litter box plus one for every cat - we only have two for two cats).

Something with catnip will probably be more appealing to the cat than the dog, as would hard plastic balls (ones with bells inside) and things to scratch on (those cardboard contraptions are great).

Give your new kitty her own place up high from the dogs too - like a kitty condo or a bed up out of reach on a bureau or something.

kitties

i have a cat, too. i use feline pine litter, not the clay clumpy kind. i worry that the clay kind would get stuck in her tummy when she has a bath. i also buy food with no by-products for my cat.

she loves toy mice i sewed from felt for her, too. i put a jingle bell inside. she also likes spray catnip that i put on her cat condo and cardboard scratcher.

I considered getting one of those automatic litter boxes, but I decided against it because I heard about the poo getting stuck on the tines problem that lindaj mentions. I also heard that the motors tend to die after a year or so. (If I'm going to spend that kind of money I want it to last longer than that.)

What I really, really wanted to do was teach my cat to go on the toilet. I bought a kit that was supposed to train her to do it, but that didn't go so well... I think she was already too old and set in her ways by the time I got her. But if I ever get a kitten I'm definitely going to toilet train it. (Even if it is a little weird.)

I use clumpy litter because it saves money and resources. After all you just scoop out what been used and the rest you can keep until it's... well used. There are different qualities though. I use cheap stuff and I always have to be careful to not make the wet parts fall apart, but a friend of mine who breeds cats has really expensive stuff that gets so hard that never happens. With two cats I clean it once a day and it never gets smelly.

One different advice (I learned from my breeding friend): never feed your cat canned food or other supermarket food. Go to the pet shop and by Hill's, Royal Canin or Technical (the dryed foods). It costs a bit, but it may save you on vet costs, because it's really the healthiest you can give your cat, and it will surely save you on half eaten cans you have to throw away. I've had cats for over twenty years and before I never knew what new taste too buy for them until I found this solution. I used to have choosy cats, but the ones I have now grew up on this good stuff and won't even look at canned food and even Whiskas dried food, well they like that for a day or so, like I would like to have a portion of fries or something else really bad, but not for three days in a row. They recognize quality!!!

One of my cats loves cardboard boxes. Loves, loves, loves that damn cardboard box. Shoe box, QVC box, sweater box, it doesn't matter. The $10 crinkle sack I bought goes neglected, but any stray plastic bags become a bed instantly. I put away groceries, and I have a cat lying on a bag in the middle of my table. It's ridiculous.

However, they both love kitty grass. I got the kind you just add water to, and it grows really quickly. They get a few minutes every few days with the little tub it comes in, and they love it. They also like anything that dangles... We have a kind of fishing pole thing with an elastic string, a stuffed toy, and a little bell attached. They go nuts. They also like reflected light or flashlights (cheap!)

And lastly, our cats are pooping machines. An automatic litter cleaner would probably die a horrible, smelly death after 2 and a half days with the girls. Aww.

A SuperScratcher. It's basically corrugated cardboard with catnip, but my cat is ADDICTED to it and it keeps him from tearing up things. Every time I buy a new one he spends a good 20 minutes scratching it up and rolling on it.

My mom's cats have turf wars over it, so she bought 3 and put them around the house.

I second the cat grass. He loves it.

quality canned food is fine for cats. some vets recommend canned food over dry, since it's closer in content to what cats would eat "naturally". the only thing is that dry food keeps their teeth cleaner, so you need to make sure to take them to the vet for tooth cleaning when it's needed.

another good thing about high-quality food is that the cats tend to have smaller poop, since the food has less filler in it.

Remove Ads

Ads