Thread: history books

history books

can anyone recommend any good history books...i was browsing through amazon but i wanted to know if anyone has any favorites?? thanks!

2. # ADS

Well, I"m a historian so I could probably recommend something - what are you interested in specifically?

i'd probably like something on U.S. history...any era...do you have any favorites? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by seamripper
    i'd probably like something on U.S. history...any era...do you have any favorites? thanks!
    Well US history is my field, but that's still really broad - there are so many books out there (something on my mind right now as I pack 7 bookcases full of history books).

If you want a broad history of the US most people I recommend A People's History of the United States : 1492-Present by Howard Zinn like it (keep in mind that Zinn is a politically active historian).

For certain time periods I recommend:
    • Changes in the Land : Indians, Colonists, and the Ecology of New England by William Cronon
      The Unredeemed Captive: A Family Story from Early America by John Demos
      Good Wives: Image and Reality in the Lives of Women in Northern New England, 1650-1750; A Midwife's Tale : The Life of Martha Ballard, Based on Her Diary, 1785-1812; The Age of Homespun: Objects and Stories in the Creation of an American Myth - all by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
      Salem Possessed; The Social Origins of Witchcraft by Paul S. Boyer and Stephen Nissenbaum (THE book on the Salem witch trials)
      The Kingdom of Matthias/a Story of Sex and Salvation in 19Th-Century America: by Paul E. Johnson and Sean Wilentz
      Gender and Jim Crow: Women and the Politics of White Supremacy in North Carolina, 1896-1920 by Glenda Elizabeth Gilmore
      Search for Order 1877-1920 by Robert H. Wiebe
      The Age of Reform: From Bryan to F.D.R. by Richard Hofstadter (really anything by Hofstadter)
      The Populist Moment: A Short History of the Agrarian Revolt in America by Lawrence Goodwyn
      A Short History of Reconstruction by Eric Foner (really anything by Foner)
      Making a New Deal : Industrial Workers in Chicago, 1919-1939 by Lizabeth Cohen
      Grand Expectations: The United States, 1945-1974 by James T. Patterson

That's basically a reading list for American historiography.

What historical books are in use now?

For me, one of the best books that I read is a book about the Salem witches called The Crucible. If someone has not read, then you can view the examples of essays just check this. I am sure that this is a cool book and many would need to read and write or even order an essay on this topic. They make them quickly and efficiently, do not be disappointed.
    Last edited by Admin1; 02-26-2020 at 08:11 AM.

I have to opt for The Complete Peerage, a veritable treasure trove of information that is a must for every historian – and anyone who is captivated by royal and aristocratic genealogy.

I like to read historical books, but I am not able to formulate my thoughts correctly. So when I get a task to write a historical essay, then I feel stressed. Fortunately, thanks to a useful article on this resource http://fashionbombdaily.com/ I was able to learn about using professional writing services. Now my student life is great and I have no problems with academic papers.

Oh, I'm also interested in this topic, I look forward to recommendations

From myself I can recommend something from science fiction, I always loved this genre

Remove Ads

Ads