Crafty Research help!!!! please :)

Crafting Questionnaire

What is your craft of choice? (sewing, knitting, etc)

Why do you make your own clothes/jewelry/knit/craft?

What age did you start doing your craft? What age are you now?

How do you afford to do this type of thing? Is this your main source of income? Do you have another job?

Approximately how many hours a week do you spend crafting/knitting/sewing/making stuff?

Do you prefer to buy handmade stuff (clothes, bags, etc)? why?

Do you have a crafting/sewing/knitting (whatever your craft is) group you meet with? How often? Why do you like it?

Do you sell the things you make? Where do you sell them?

Where do you go online to discuss/learn/share your craftiness? How do these sites inspire you in ways that real life conversations don’t?

What other crafty things do you do?

Is there a subversive element to crafting/knitting/sewing? A punk rock element? DIY smugness?

What are your thoughts on this DIY/handmade phenomena? How do you think it relates to capitalism? Is it a need to “nest”?

2. # ADS

What is your craft of choice? (sewing, knitting, etc)
    Mainly crochet, then knitting and a bit of sewing. When necessary I DIY around the house, paint jobs etc.

Why do you make your own clothes/jewelry/knit/craft?
    Grew up with crafty parents. Just don't know any better then try to make your own things before you buy. It's in my nature.

What age did you start doing your craft? What age are you now?
    Started around 6-7, now 45.

How do you afford to do this type of thing? Is this your main source of income? Do you have another job?
    I'm a working girl. Crafting is mainly a hobby, but one that I try to make some extra money with. Materials are all reused (often curb found). Haven't spent any money on it in years.

Approximately how many hours a week do you spend crafting/knitting/sewing/making stuff?
    About 14? Well, at least I think.

Do you prefer to buy handmade stuff (clothes, bags, etc)? why? No, I try to make my own first. What I can't make I try to find for free in the trash or I buy second/hand. Maybe I would buy hand made if I could afford it.

Do you have a crafting/sewing/knitting (whatever your craft is) group you meet with? How often? Why do you like it?
    No, I like to work on my own.

Do you sell the things you make? Where do you sell them?
    I sell on craft fairs (not often) and online (Etsy).

Where do you go online to discuss/learn/share your craftiness? How do these sites inspire you in ways that real life conversations don’t?
    I visit a lot of those sites. Getcrafty, Craftster, HGTV and some local Dutch ones. I don't know a lot of crafters in real life, I\m a bit of a 'Einzelganger', so these sites are great to look at what other people make, get opinions about my designs and business advice.

What other crafty things do you do?
    As said above, a bit of DIY around the house. And oh yes, almost forgot I fix old bicycles. (make one working one out of several crappy ones)

Is there a subversive element to crafting/knitting/sewing? A punk rock element? DIY smugness?
    I used to be a punky in the eighties, but considered my craft as my 'soft side', not really a part of my punkiness. Though I did make a lot of black sweaters.
    Right now it has more to do with environmentalism and anti-consumerism for me, as I refuse to buy new shiny materials and rescue stuff instead (thrown away knitwear to unravel) from the landfill.

What are your thoughts on this DIY/handmade phenomena? How do you think it relates to capitalism? Is it a need to “nest”?
    Crafting has been big since the seventies or even sixties and for me it has never been gone. I think it's through the internet, more people communicating around it and more possibilities to sell stuff that it just looks bigger. Because isn't it weird that all large stores in Holland have stopped selling yarn and other supplies? They had loads in the eighties and even their own pattern books. Now I read that in the US Wall-mart is going that direction too...

Remove Ads

Ads