Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cat allergy advice, anyone?

Cat allergy advice, anyone?

My dilemma is that I am 100% a CAT PERSON. I love them. I love to pet them. I love to rub my face in their fur. They make me idiotically happy.
    -but-
    My husband is allergic to cats, and pretty much everything else with fur actually. Once, when he was a kid, his parents took him to a polo match, where he rode a pony and had to go to the hospital because his eyes swelled shut and he went temporarily blind. He really has allergies.
    So I've been trying to live without kitties, but am realizing more and more that there really is an empty spot in my heart that can only be filled by them. (That is possibly the most retarded thing I've ever typed. But it's true.)Allergies aside, he really likes them a lot and is willing to give it a shot if we can figure something out.

Does anyone have any experience with medications or treatments or even specific breeds of cats that lessen the effects of allergies? Or am I doomed to live a kitty-less existence until my husband dies and I become a crazy woman with 100 cats?

Thanks, guys!

2. # ADS

Zyrtec. take one at night before you go to bed every night. i'm not allergic to cats, but i am allergic to everything else and Zyrtec significantly improves the quality of my life.

not everyone can tolerate it (it knocks them out like Benadryl) but it works far better than any other allergy medications for me.

also, hairless cats. they are weird, but they're also strangely adorable.

how about a spinx? i love them! they are one of the cutest and most exotic cats around. They will supposedly cause less allergetic responses. But the trade off is...no more furry catty to rub your face against....which maybe a good thing since they do have loads of bacteria embedded in their furs.

Some people have mentioned that their allergies got way better once they got used to their own cat's allergens (but they were still allergic to other cats). It's not really something you'd want to experiment with, though...

Allergy injections! It is a long and drawn out process - i'm 6 years in and not quite done - but they have totally changed my life. I used to be one of those people with swelling eyes and itchy skin, but the allergy injection therapy has really reduced my symptoms. I still have some sinus problems, but for the most part, my allergies are under control.

I have also heard from friends that Egyptian Mao's are good for people with allergies. I have no experience with this myself.

I hope you and hubby find a way to have a cat!

What most people who are allergic to cats are allergic to is their spit (what they use to clean their hair) and it gets worse when there is cat hair all over the house. It might help to:
    -Keep the cat off the bed or even out of the bedroom, so that can be a permanent hair-free zone.
    -Get a cat with short hair that sheds less frequently.
    -Brush the cat once a day to keep him or her from shedding.
    -Vacuum up cat hair as soon as you see it!

cat allergies

It doesn''t seem logical, but I find long haired cats less troublesome than shorthaired cats. I noticed this when I stayed with a friend who had one of each. Now I have two long haired cats, and they don''t bother me. Vacuuming is a big part of my life, now, too.

This treatment made my food allergies disapear.
    I guess it will work just as well for cats.

http://www.naet.com/

Good luck!

Siamese cats are another breed that are said to be good for those with allergies, and I've heard that female cats are less of a problem than male cats. Another thing that helps, much to the dismay of the cats, is regular bathing of the cat. It removes the saliva from the fur and reduces dander, just wiping the fur with a damp cloth is said to have some effect.
    johnrichard likes this.
    Check out my blog to see how my mind works.
    http://freakykeen.blogspot.com
    Plus check out my Zibbet Shoppe.
    http://www.zibbet.com/FreakyKeen
    And my other blog.
    http://simplymazes.blogspot.com

I agree with the person who suggested Zyrtec. I take a once-daily allergy pill and it seems to work out okay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads