escape from consumerville

interesting article in the la times about DIY and how to fight consumerism.

http://www.latimes.com/features/book...tory?track=rss

discuss.

:-)

2. # ADS

Thanks, very interesting. I do embrace the 'idler'-idea. Whether or not I'm able to put that into practice, the want is there.

what was interesting to me was the "strategy" of failure. of not participating. i've noticed in my own life that when i don't engage in something with the attitude of "i'm right and i will make you see that," that i'm much happier. so, by not engaging in/with marketers/producers (as much as is possible), you are free to truly live your life on your own terms, making your own choices about what and how much to consume. am i making sense? i'm not sure i articulated this the way i want to. :-)

I like how the author "gets" DIY:

"Although the DIY ("do it yourself") movement has become associated with home-improvement superstores and craft kits, it embraces an ethos much more political at its core. It promotes a philosophy of self-reliance -- resisting the idea that we must hand over hard-earned cash for products and services we can make or do ourselves. The DIY ethos has a close relationship with punk, which rages against authority and asserts individual freedom. While these philosophies might seem immune to corporate exploitation, they possess cultural currency that marketers crave -- which is how we end up with corporate-sponsored "graffadi" (the use of the graffiti ethos for advertising) for the Sony PSP or Axe deodorant."

Remove Ads

Ads