Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How did you learn your craft?

Itís interesting how people like to learn different ways. How did you learn your craft?

Years ago when I learnt crocheting, I did it by reading an old crocheting instructional book. I came across this book at a crafts fair, bought it because I needed something to read on the bus on the way home. I got so interested in it that before walking home from the bus stop, I stopped by the shops and bought my first crochet hook and some yarn. The rest is history. I loved it from day one.

Although my grandmother crocheted all the time, when she was alive I hadnít really seen any interest in it. But now each time I crochet it reminds me of my grandmother and it makes me feel real good.

2. # ADS

I learned my craft by accidently running across a few pictures on the internet. I thought, "I could do that, only better" . So, I figured out my own way to do it and the rest is history!

My momma tried to teach me how to knit for a few years, but I didn't really pick it up until I read Stitch n Bitch. And now I knit lots of scarves.

I guess you could call photography a craft, right? I took my first picture when I was 5, got my first point and shoot when I was 8, was gifted my father's old camera when I was 15 and took misc. pictures until my first real photography class a few years later. I had an absolutely amazing teacher my third semester, and I've been in love with developing and printing ever since. It's expensive, but I do love it so.

My grandmother taught me how to knit but I've pretty much taught myself everything else!

I think it just runs in the blood. Historically I come from a line of lace makers and carpenters, so it just comes to me. My folks are/were pretty crafty and I am competitive so I just wanted to make things better. My mother rarely started what she finished so I try to finish what I start, even if it takes years. If I know I am not going to finish then I try to pass it on to someone who will.

I do so many different things that I can't say just one way is how I learned.

1.)I have learned a ton from the internet. I love videos on crafting.

2.)My mom has taught me some things.

3.)My dear friend Melinda is one of those ladies that knows how to do everything, so when I want to learn something new or have a question I call her up.

4.)Some things I have picked up with books but really I love to SEE things in progress (so videos work best for me.)

5.)My grandmother did everything I do and then some but I was so young that I didn't pick up near as much as I would have liked (I so wish she was still here.)

Dora Renee' Wilkerson
    http://bricoreandfamily.blogspot.com/

I learned them all as a kid, not really sure how it all happened. I'm happy for that, that I learned to crochet and knit and needlepoint--I don't know that I would have the patience to learn now.

Two very different ways:

Sewing I learned from my mom since I was a wee tot. She used to be a home ec teacher, so I had a very qualified instructor. As a result, most of the sewing I''ve done in my lifetime has been very by-the-book. French seam finish? No problem!

Knitting I taught myself with the help of books and the interwebz. And the ladies at the absolutely fabuous yarn shop where I used to live. Been knitting for about three years, and in contrast to my sewing, I often prefer to knit something without a pattern ... just get a gauge I like, crunch some numbers, and go to town!

Last spring I tried to get my grandma to teach me crochet, but I haven''t really stuck with it. I think I need some book-learnin'' to really "get it."

Well, it always was a hobby for me, since I was a child so I don't really know.

There are a lot of things here and there that I always loved to do and I can't imagine my life without DIY stuff because it adds so much cozyness. Lately I am into t-shirt pronting. Turned out that it is so simple. You just need Craftopia transfer paper and some creativity and basically, that's it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads