No, I mean REAL indie bands.

I've noticed the latest trend in music has been "indie" music, but I don't think the music is all that "indie." After all, to be indie, wouldn't you have to put your music out yourself or on an incredibly small label? Your own label?

I'm about to plug a band, by the way.

50' Wave is actually trying to be brave with its distribution. It's lettings the fans do some of it (they can order CD "bricks" for cheap and then sell them to whoever), and they're allowing for online downloading. They're trying to make more money by touring than selling CDs.

What do you think of this?

I think this is a great response to the music industry's current problems. Music as an industry really isn't fair, and I know I've paid way too much for CDs than I should have. I really like what 50' Wave is trying to do.

Plug indie bands who are doing their own thing. I love to hear new music.

2. # ADS

I just discovered Bitch and Animal. They're an indie band and they Rock! They sell their CDs thru CDBaby which is an internet site for indie artists.
    So I get to buy an indie band's CD from an indie store. Yay!

I always randomly quote their song "pussy manifesto" the only one I have on my computer. I'd totally dig them, I know it.

Technically the term "indie" means not signed to a major label. But what's a major label? The Weakerthans signed with Epitaph, a major punk label, last year. Are they still indie?

Truly independent artists aren't signed with any label, not even an indie label. But I'd still apply "indie" to bands who are signed with "indie" labels.

That band you linked seems really cool, soapandwater. Clearly, the music industry needs to find a new model for profit and it looks like that band is trying to lead the way! Not that the majors will follow. They'll keep on whining about record sales and keep suing 13-year-olds. But still. Good on 50' Wave!

Here are some musicians and bands that I like who are either completely independent or signed to indie labels.

Nathan
    The Paperbacks
    Broken Social Scene and also Stars, you can find them at arts and crafts
    The Gossip owns me
    She's signed with and split from a major label, now she's on a not-so-major label but she still rules: Kinnie Starr!
    [/url]

I just finished Our Band Could Be Your Life and he had some interesting comments in the epilogue on how indie rock changed the music industry and was, in turn changed by it.

He speculated that perhaps the next music revolution will involved the internet, as indie bands are more comfortable using technology to get their music out for free to anyone that will listen.

Thus, I will pimp my friend's record label, North of January

Jenny, I love Nathan, and the Weakerthans! I'm from Manitoba too.

Quote Originally Posted by brdgt
    I just finished Our Band Could Be Your Life and he had some interesting comments in the epilogue on how indie rock changed the music industry and was, in turn changed by it.

He speculated that perhaps the next music revolution will involved the internet, as indie bands are more comfortable using technology to get their music out for free to anyone that will listen.

Thus, I will pimp my friend's record label, North of January
    That sounds like a fun read. I wish I had time to read (although what can I say, you're in GRADUATE school).

I checked out North of January. Is that also the name of the band that plays on the jukebox? The songs were greaaat. I'm totally hooked in.

Since this thread has resurface, I'm going to call attention to a very big problem: Kill Rock Stars has been sucking lately. Baaaaaad. I don't know what it is, but all the bands that are currently signed to it are either defunct or just sucky. Is this the end of an era? They're all generic-sounding, and I can't stand it. With S-K gone to Subpop, I wonder what's going to become of KRS?

And Mr. Lady is officially dead. Ouch!

I guess they're not technically indie but more small label, which I'm fine with, and I guess if the money's not there, something's got to give. But it doesn't explain why KRS is so blah. They used to have more feminist stuff, too, but are there no more feminists in rock? Or have they all been signed to bigger labels?

It's funny.
    I'm a music snob, but I want people to listen to feminist bands. But, oh, I'm already pissed that my friend gets to go to a Le Tigre concert and I don't. So it begins...

Quote Originally Posted by soapandwater
    I checked out North of January. Is that also the name of the band that plays on the jukebox? The songs were greaaat. I'm totally hooked in.
    Oh, that's Colin Clary on the Jukebox, he's such a darling - I can burn you a mix of his various projects if you want. It captures that early Beat Happening vibe with some serious Beach Boys influence thrown in for good measure. Catchy as hell.

If there was one thing I learned from Our Band Could be Your Life it's that indie labels, with few exceptions (like Dischord), have a relatively short lifespan and the important thing is that they put out as many albums as they can while they can. (SST perhaps killed itself by doing this too much, however!)

Remember when this happened to "Alternative music"? Or "Emo" music. I detest the term Emo! What music isn't emotional?

My friends, Science of Yabra put their first record or two out themselves. Honestly, if you are an *Indie* band, you aren't making any money! That's just not why you are rockin people's asses off. You are doing it for the thrill and enjoyment of playing music, and not because you won a record deal. After you consider the cost of recording, strings, sticks, gasoline, buttons (SOY gets them for free...I wonder why?), etc, you really aren't making money.

If you are playing local shows that charge a cover, most of the money should go to the touring band to cover their expenses.

But, yeah if you aren't independent of major record labels, or that bitch MTV, you shouldn't call yourself Indie.

That's not to say I only listen to completly underground music, though! That's just silly, silly!

Oh, and the Weakerthans kick so much ass, it hurts me sometimes! =)

Remove Ads

Ads