My current I HATE TV phase

I swing back and forth between being a big TV head and being so fed up with it that it makes my stomach hurt to watch it.

Lately, the noise and swirling images have been really agitating. And man alive, do they have to play the same lame commercials 17x an hr? A few Saturdays ago, I cleaned the kitchen at 10 pm just to avoid watching it. I've also been giving the tv the finger a lot more than usual, especially when republicans are speaking.

Sometimes I feel like I need it on; the noise and light is comforting. It almost feels like brainwashing sometimes when I can't turn it off.

I wish I could hate it all the time b/c I'd get so much more done. Why does it tempt me so other times?? What a love-hate relationship we have. When I don't watch for a while, I tend no have no idea about the weather or world events, since we don't want to spend $ on buying the paper, so that's not good either.

The other problem is, my husband likes the tv a lot more than I do, so if I want to hang out with him, I have to hang out with tv too. Does anyone have a relationship where you're dating a way bigger tv head than you are? How do you handle it? I want to spend time with him after being at work all day, but sometimes I don't want to sit in front of the tv like he does.

I've been wanting to create a tv cover that's like a dust cover for the whole tv, and I want to embroider it with ideas of things you can do besides watch tv. And very big, in the middle, I want to put "Read a book!" Thanks for letting me rant. -cf

2. # ADS

That dust cover needs to be made! What a great idea!!

I feel your ambivalence about the TV. I think it's a good thing. You don't seem to take it too seriously. Some people get so upset about what's on the tube. It isn't like it's an activity that is necessary. If you aren't enjoying it you should simply do something else. You don't even have to buy a TV unless you want one! It's the people who act like something has happened to their first amendement rights because there are things on television that they don't like that worry me.

My boyfriend and I only have three local channels...on a cloudy day, two. When we go to visit our friends that have cable we are mesmerized. Especially, now with this TIVO and etcetera! But, after the novelty wears off we realize that there really isn't much to actually watch. It's wierd because even the programs are like commercials, now! Like, they show behind the scenes documentaries of Baywatch and Saved by the Bell right before the DVD sets are released at Target. And, you'll know this because during the breaks, there will be a Target commercial advertising it!! HA HA. Most people I know agree that they are only interested in about 4 or 5 channels specifically but, you have to spend 50-60 bucks on all of it just to get those. THis is the real reason we don't have cable. It's too damn expensive!

I, too, like to have the "company" of the TV. When I come home, sometimes, I'll turn it on then head straight for the kitchen to wash dishes without even laying eyes on the set. That is an unfortunate habit but, I don't think you should worry about being brainwashed. People who are brainwashed don't actually think they are...that's how it works...I think. Hee he. I finally broke myself of the habit of falling asleep with the television on. That was scary. Leaving ABC and Fox free reign over my unconscious mind! I sleep much better now.

It's a delimma. TV or not TV, that is the question.

Oooh, I know how you feel!

I have gone a year and a half without any sort of t.v. before, and I'm absolutely fine that way. However, the minute I'm near a t.v., and especially now that we have cable again, I think that I can never go back.

What I do is pick only certain nights that I will allow myself to obsess over, like Sunday nights on Fox. By the way, everyone should see Arrested Development because I think it's actually a really decent show. I might be just a wee bit obsessed, come to think of it.

I've had to cut back on t.v. lately. I'd been watching reruns of all my old favorite shows (Roseanne, for instance) until I was nothing but a mindless blob who watched t.v. I've been going on walks in the neighborhood more and trying to write more and knit more. It's great.

Try to get your husband to go on night walks with you or some other activity on days when the t.v. lure isn't that big. If he starts to really like the alternative, maybe he'll cut back on t.v. too. Or go out once a week just for a coffee somewhere maybe on a big t.v. night.

This is an embarrassing story, but I had to work the night of the Simple Life 2's season finale, and I thought, "CRAP I AM SO MAD I AM NEVER GOING TO SEE IT EVER!!!!" Now, I still haven't seen it, but I'm fine. It was much more important to make sixty dollars that night. People who love t.v. never seem to realize that they're fine without it. I have no clue why. That's just how t.v. is.

We have a DVR, which elimintates two important aspects of this:

1) The need to watch commercials (We watch pre-recorded shows and just fast-forward through them.)
    2) The need to be dictated to based on the TV schedule. (eg, "I have to get home to watch Friends, because it's Thursday.")

While we don't watch "that much", there are shows that we record by series. Then when we have a chance to watch tv, we see what we've recorded and we watch that. Although I feel like my husband likes watching it more that I do, he refuses to watch what he calls "crap telly." Consequently, we watch a lot of HBO, some BBC America shows, and the like.

The only thing we watch more than once a week is the Daily Show - and it's only four nights a week - and 20 minutes without commercials! (Oh - and Jeopardy - but that's so if we get a chance to watch it we can at least skip the ads.) We also record Bill Maher, Ali G., Six Feet Under, Jeopardy, Dave Chappelle, Little Britain, etc. Oh - and yeah: Arrested Development!!! And I often go in and record some cookery shows, so that if I find myself at home alone, there's something on there for me to watch.

Basically most of what we record are things we both like. And then he can watch Reno 911 when I'm not there!!! And if there's something cheesy that I want to watch, I'll just record it and try and catch it later.

we get no channels, because we'd both become quickly addicted, yet totally ill over most of the crap that's on. we have a dvd player and netflix, and i listen to npr when i want "company".

Arrested Development isn't just a television show; it's a piece of artwork!

roxy the tv addict

Quote Originally Posted by roxy_fondue
    Arrested Development isn't just a television show; it's a piece of artwork!

roxy the tv addict
    HEAR HEAR!

The boyfriend and I fight about him watching too much TV ALLLL the time. I really like your tv cover idea! I always want to go out and do things, but he feels like I'm pressuring him into entertaining me. "Why can't you just watch TV with me?!" And to save an arguement, I will, for like THREE HOURS. (One station does back to back Seinfeld, and then another station plays Seinfeld after the back to back episodes, then we'll watch a daily show rerun, and then it's a half hour of flipping the channels) I empathize with you over too much tv. And oh yeah, you should try getting your news online. Aside from Yahoo, there's websites for all the major networks, and their local affiliates. And there's always http://www.indymedia.org/or/index.shtml for stuff you wouldn't see on TV.

I didn't have any kind of cable or anything in the last place we lived. So when we moved here, we don't really miss it. We have been throwing around the idea of getting one of the basic dish packages, but it seems to have nothing but crap.

We have one of those old antennaes, and get maybe 6 channels on a clear day. As long as I can still watch my CSI on Thursdays, thats all I need. The other channels are news and C-Span. Ughggggghhh. Politics annoy me, so I don't watch those at all.

Yeah, dust cover. Only have one of those felt boards on it so you can move pictures around to things YOU want to see. :)

jennjitsu

i love the idea of the dust cover, that sounds lovely.

i usually don't watch that much tv, except for survivor and a couple of other shows now and then. sometimes i know there is always a lot of other stuff to do, but i'm so tired and tv takes 0 effort.

during commercials, i always mute the TV and wash dishes. or i wash dishes while watching the whole show. then i don't feel like im wasting time as much.

one of my pet peeves are those people who allllways leave the tv on and only watch it half the time. i listen to music to keep me company:)

Remove Ads

Ads