em [OP]

what should i do in madison?

i'm about to visit the great city, my first time to wisconsin. i've been told there's a ton for a crafty girl like myself to do there, but no one has really elaborated on what that might be. any hints? names of craft stores, book stores, record stores, restaurants and the like would be appreciated.

2. # ADS

I'm moving there this week :)

I've been out there twice and really enjoyed the Great Dane for food, the Essenhouse for beer, and there are supposed to be several good local yarn shops.

Definitely check out the terrace that Frank Lloyd Wright designed (I forget which lake it is on).

shakespeare's books on the square is a great way to lose yourself for an afternoon. a huge spooky basement with strange corridors. thousands of used books, including rare, silly and bizarre. shakti is cool as well, for the paganlady; stones, ritual supplies, handmade journals and local crafts. for eating, noodles and co. is yummy and has good ambience. oh, and don't forget the farmer's market that circles the capitol building on saturdays, selling everything from fresh bread to produce to honey to crafts. those are my favourites... i used to drive over from milwaukee about once a month. you will have so much fun!

Mad-town is a wonderful city! (I used to live near Milwaukee, and visit at least once a month.)

The Frank Lloyd Wright inspired terrace is right near campus, I believe. A favorite thing of mine is walking State Street. It runs from campus to the capital, and has a wide variety of crazy stores, and usually some street vendors. There are some wonderful beading stores in Madison too (www.beadshopfinder.com), including the Blue Bead and Tropic Jewel. Right near there is also a wonderful University museum. During the weekends there is an amazing farmer's market in the square.

Have fun!

Remove Ads

Ads