Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overpopulation

Overpopulation

I read an article in the newspaper the other day about how most industrialized nations are going to have shrinking populations in the next 50 years due mostly to lower birth rates.
    Japan's population will shrink by 40% by 2050, Russia's by 19%, & Germany's by 9% (If I remember correctly, which I'm pretty sure about!).
    In fact, one of the only developed countries to have an increasing population is... you guessed it! USA! The American population is expected to grow by 43% by 2050. FORTY THREE PERCENT!!! So I think the population will be like 413 million or something near that.
    After I read the article, I just got so depressed. Especially after working all summer at a grocery store & seeing tons of kids misbehaving every day, & horrible parents, & moms of 5 on welfare, I just can't understand why people have so dang many kids. I know more kids is related to lower education levels & lower socio-economic standing, & it doesn't seem like there's much I can do besides not have kids myself. & I have conflicted feelings about the US in general- I think this is just typical of Americans, to not care about having a sustainable population (now I'm thinking of yuppies having four kids & riding around town in suburbans) or not over-using our resources & all that.
    & the sustainable population rate is 2.1 kids per woman! It's not just one kid, & I think 2 kids is plenty for anyone (this coming from somebody with no kids & just 1 sibling, so feel free to post if you feel differently!).
    Does anyone feel this same way, or am I the only one worried about this, or what do you think?

2. # ADS

I was just talking about this very subject with my boyfriend's mother (a mother of 2).. She's a doctor professor in diabetes and she was having a very heated debate about overpopulation with some of her colleagues. They were trying to challenge each other by asking how they can solve the global problem. One of her colleagues stated it's an actual fact that developed countries tend to have lower birthrates compared to their undeveloped counterparts. It's also a fact that women who are independent and pursue careers tend to have less children.

Having heard this, I'm thinking, developed countries tend to support the liberation of women. Unless women are liberated, overpopulation can then be controlled.

But it's really a catch-22, how can undeveloped countries even start to think about liberating women when there aren't enough jobs, and not enough money to create jobs..? I know this first-hand, having come from the Philippines where this is a serious issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan
    The American population is expected to grow by 43% by 2050.
    If we take what I wrote above into account, one may perhaps assume that American women's roles have shifted a bit over the last couple of decades. Is it because of the dot com crash that led couples to nest? The NYC bombings? The war? Food for thought.

It's so sad to think, is China's overpopulation solution the only way? I hope not, but it looks pretty bleak..

did the article say that the US population would grow that much just because of higher birth rates?? i would think immigration will cause a bigger increase than a higher birthrate, and may also account for why the US will get much bigger while other developed nations do not.

Excellent point silverfish2007. I take the last statement of my post back.

remember also when looking at demographics that there is a natural ebb and flow of a population, especially when looking at the percentage of people who are of reproductive age. just one more thing to look at!

reading this only reinforces my idea of having 10 cats and one small dog to chase them around... instead of kids.

it is hard to keep faith in a country with such screwy values. in the 70's during the gas crisis people bought fuel efficient cars to help save money and gas. but now, with gas prices at an all time high, suv's are guzzling the oil reserves to take the four kids to soccer practice. it like people have been brain damaged by commercials on tv to the point where they believe the consumer montras...i am very glad that i live close enough to work that i can walk. i think it is strange that a developed country would have an increase in population, and i wonder if it does point strongly towards our school system not being up to snuff. when people are less educated they tend to not know what else they can do other than have kids. or maybe that is too wide of a generalization. i don't know...

deleted

yeah, that is very true. it is antiquated, afterall the idea of popping out kids is from, even and early a hundred years ago, trying to perserve the population and the religions by having more kids. all of this was long before healthcare became what it is now, before the development and education of people has come as far as it is now.

although i feel like only ever having cats myself, i still want those people who would be awesome parents to have kids and raise them with manners as opposed to the ill-mannered whining children who i constantly come across in malls and supermarkets. which suprisingly are across the board from neglectful parenting to parents who don't understand disipline (no i don't mean beating, i was a kid who was spanked, never hard and usually the guilt trip that came with it was enough to make me stop).

there are just too many people, just look at the freeways in los angeles, no matter what time of day there is a crowd. everytime i go to visit my dad there i wonder how people survive, since there are sooo many people there. that is precisely why i left.

I was thinking that very thing this morning . . . that people probably used to have lots of kids because only half of them would survive. PLUS they contributed to the family's survival (in terms of work and income).

I am almost certain the population increase will not be so great percentage-wise. Without doing my research, I think it is likely there could be a natural disaster or horrible disease. People could become immune to antibiotics. SO much could happen in the next, what is it 46 years?

I don't think we are all baby-happy to such a great extent.

I also don't think the growth rate of the Hispanic population is as great as reported. Have you noticed that the forms we fill out specify "white/non-hispanic"? I'm 1/4 Mexican and therefore count as Hispanic. Most people would see me as "white."

Ya see where I'm going with this? These figures are all screwy.

People having too many babies is one of my favorite rants! Regardless of how valid the 43% population-increase statistic is, people DO have too many babies. I always say that couples should limit themselves to two.

But I realize that it's pretty self-righteous (and bossy) of me to demand this of people (especially when the issue is often linked to educational and socioeconomic factors). I was talking to my friend G recently and found myself insisting that she never have more than two children, to which she finally retorted that since both she and her brother were adopted and her mother never had any biological children, that left her with baby-credit so she was allowed to have more than her allotted two.

I have another friend, my childhood best friend and neighbor, who is the same age as me (25) and pregnant for the 4th time. And all were accidents! She had her first child when she was 14, her second child when she was 21, there was an abortion somewhere in there between the first and second babies, and now this! Neither she nor her husband graduated from high school, they're really poor, and they just keep damn accidentally having babies!

OK, I will get down off my high horse now. I'm sorry that I contributing nothing of any value to this conversation, but as I said, this is one of my favorite rants. I just can't help myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads