Interlacing with Aimee - Help me out with my research project :)

My name is Aimee Miller; I am currently studying in my honors year of Industrial Design at Massey University in Wellington, New Zealand

For my final year research project I have chosen to explore traditional interlacing techniques in combination with state of the art mass manufacturing processes. Though initial research it has come to my attention that many hands-on craft applications have been absorbed by the industry through developing manufacturing processes. I am particularly interested in exploring and developing both traditional and non-traditional interlacing techniques as well as exploring and experimenting with a variety of materials.

I have seen an opportunity within this area to develop a method of maintaining an element of craft in a technology-dominated industry. By experimenting and developing materials and traditions I propose to design a product or system which incorporates a contemporary process of mass manufacture that can be used by a wide range of users, perhaps on both a personal level as well as being community based. Creating an individually customizable product (at the moment I am thinking it will develop into a piece of furniture) which users can then adapt to suit their personal wants and needs.

I will use the knowledge generated through this research exercise to aid and influence my design process in order to develop a successful and desirable product.

Would any of you possibly be interested in helping me out. I have a few question I need help answering and would greatly appreciate any help. I am currently in the process of setting up my own blog site where you will be able to keep up to date with my research process and also help me out along the way. I will keep you all up dated with the blog address though.

Many thanks,
    Aimee

2. # ADS

Good luck with the project!

Remove Ads

Ads