Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    it's all of the antibiotics. they forget to tell people, that's why i posted this, i was shocked!

peanut

2. # ADS

That is terrible!!! I actually read the antibiotic info the other night and couldn't find any mention of this; I didn't think to check the pill info.

I'm screwed--literally! Well, too late to do anything now except keep my fingers crossed. Serves me right for abandoning that old stand-by, the pull-out method, in an attempt to be responsible!

Thanks for getting the word out, peanut--I wish I had known this a month ago!

ti
    Also, just to let you know, weight is a factor for those bc patches, too -- they don't say in the commercials or ads but you have to be less than 190 # for them to work effectively, otherwise the failure percentage drops to 15% eek!

For a second there I was like, duh, everyone knows that! but then I remembered how I found out that anti-biotics totally render the pill useless- my exes brother's girlfriend got pregnant that way!

I hadda look at my pill info sheet that came in the packet and it does mention it but it's scary that doctors don't seem to mention it when they're prescribing!

Yes, it's the whole no warning from doctor, no warning from pharmacist aspect that really alarms me. My friend found out cause her antibiotics had one of those big bright warning stickers on it--I was afforded no such luxury--thanks, Eckerd's!

Anyway, I'm sure I'm fine, but I won't be able to truly relax until my next period, after a full cycle of untampered with BC. In the meantime, my boyfriend has begun to worry that he's sterile!

yeah, it's wierd. i'm not on the pill, but when i went into the doctor's (for her to check out a burn i got from a glue-gun, dude) and got this super-helpful nurse, who gave me all kinds of little tips while she checked my BP and etc. the pill thing was one of them, she was checking in case they were going to give me anti-biotics. and i was like, "whoa, i never heard that!" and she said "yup, there's a lot of people walking around who have antibiotics to thank for their birth..."

anyway, no when ever i take anything i google for any drug interactions and i also talk to the pharmacist. did you know how many medications interact with grapefruit juice? tons!

knowing is half the battle,
    peanut

I think it's not just patients who think the pill "doesn't count." I had been taking the same combination of bc pill and mood stabilizer (for bipolar disorder) for 3 years when a new doc pointed out a problem. And I always tell all doctors I see everything I'm on... It was scary and frustrating to think of all the medication I had put in my body without being fully informed...

bcp/abx

I'm a nurse too and we always tell patients to use other protection for at least a month after antibiotic therapy. With all of our patients we give printouts about any medication prescribed for them to read about. It's a shame other medical people don't.

I guess I should consider myself lucky...I knew that about the antibiotic thing ever since I went to Planned Parenthood for the pill back in 1989.

It's amazing how this super important piece of info is not getting out! I don't understand...

Thanks for sharing & by the way, hi peanut, longtime no see. Hope you're well.

Heidi

researchasaurus,
    how's it going? i haven't heard from you in ages! we should have a back to school swap party again....

peanut

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads