Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Birth Control Pill Tip From my Nurse

Hi I was just in the doctor today and the nurse told me something I'd never heard about birth control pills, so I thought I'd pass it along. Apparently, antibiotics interact with birthcontrol pills, sometimes rendering the birthcontrol pills USELESS. So, my nurse suggests, if you go on antibiotics while you are on the pill, use a condom until you go off the antibiotics, or risk pregnancy.

who would have thought?
    not me.

peanut

2. # ADS

I remember reading that on the drug interactions card with my birth control prescription - yet another reason to not take antibiotics.

brdgt,
    my sister, a pharmacist, would applaud you for reading the papers included with your prescriptions! She likes to remind the family that they aren't to be considered scrap paper ;)

you should use a condom for longer than you take the antibiotic becuase many of the newer drugs stay in your body for several days after you stop taking it

Something else I heard (not to hijack!). . .

My ob/gyn was actually on the news saying how WEIGHT is a very important factor not often considered when BC pills are prescribed, and probably the biggest reason they fail.

some herbs such as st john's wort can cause havoc with your BCP...

i seem to recall some research several years ago about the effect that grapefruit juice (!) had on the body's ability to absorb BCPs. something about it slowing the estrogen metabolism.

in any case, it's good to get as much info as you can when taking the Pill.

drugs can have all kinds of crazy interactions, which is why it is important to tell your doctor what you are taking, even birth control! too many women feel that birth control pills "don't count."

Quote Originally Posted by udandi
    brdgt,
    my sister, a pharmacist, would applaud you for reading the papers included with your prescriptions! She likes to remind the family that they aren't to be considered scrap paper ;)
    Well, excuse the pun, but if there is one thing I don't fuck around with, its getting pregnant!

You know, I was recently on antibiotics for two weeks, and neither the doctor who prescribed them (and who I told I was on birth control) nor the pharmacist (who filled the antibiotics at the same time that he filled my BC and took the trouble to warn me that if I took two antibiotics at once I would get diarrhea) mentioned this. So that probably means I'm in the clear, right? That not ALL antibiotics interfere with the pill? I'd never heard this before, but after I completed taking the antibiotics, two different girls mentioned it. Then this thread popped up. EEK! That would really suck. Damn you, antibiotics, never again will I let my guard down for you!

from what i understand, antibiotics are antibiotics, and they all interact with the pill. my doctor (who's a family practitioner) has said that he's had quite a few patients who were products of pregnancies while their moms were on the pill and on antibiotics!

just protect y'self now, y'hear?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads