Thread: Advice Please

Advice Please

This might be TMI so if you don't like sexual stuff, don't read.
    Am I the only one who's faced this uncomfortable time?

Is it just me, or do parents seem to get really overprotective right when you turn 18 or when they suspect you're "growing up?"

My dad and I have kind of had a weird relationship. My parents got divorced when I was really young, so my whole life, I've just known my dad from weekends. He's kind of an "emotionally constipated," guy. The only time he really gets sentimental is when he gets a little tipsy..and then he gushes and cries about how much he loves me.

I have also been having sex, *protected!* for two years now. I think my dad is catching on, or at least suspecting, and is now all weird about it. I think once he saw a small piece of a condom wrapper that fell out of a trash bag and is now kinda weird around me.

My dad's always been a bit "mean," he likes to joke around in hurtful ways. I know that he probably knows I'm sexually active, I live under his roof now, but I don't think it's his business. He's only here on weekends, and when I go out when he's here, he gets kind of protective.

Any advice dealing with the akwardness that is our realtionship?

May I add he also has conflicting feelings about the man I'm with, because he feels my boy doesn't do well enough in life. I'm not planning on getting married or doing anything "crazy", so I don't think it should be a big deal. I've never gotten into any trouble with my dad, but he just seems a bit colder to me lately.

2. # ADS

I don't have a lot to share b/c my dad never really wanted to know about my sex life (I think he was secretly hoping I was still a virgin until I got married). However, he was the only one of the 4 parents that had any problem when I moved in with my husband (who was my boyfriend at the time) and I think it was the coming face-to-face with the reality that daddy's litle girl is not only a grown woman, but a sexual being. I'm sure its tough, but it has to happen sometime. Come to think of it, that's probably one of the toughest things a dad has to face. I would think they get pretty protective when it comes to their daughters.

I think it would take a very strong, very mature, very unique relationship with a dad and his daughter to be able to talk about issues of her sex life honestly and out in the open. But maybe some of the other craftistas have done this?

Remove Ads

Ads