Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recipes

Recipes

Maybe we should put recipes here...

***Edited by artgeek: After you've added a recipe to this thread, please provide your contributor info here. Thanks!***

2. # ADS

Chicken Scampi

So, I realize that Scampi refers to a specific type of shrimp, but in my house, scampi refers to the way the dish is prepared. You could use shrimp in this dish if you choose.

Recipe:

2-3 Chicken Breasts (cut as preferred)
    Angel Hair Pasta
    1/2 Stick Butter
    3-4 tbsp Olive Oil
    White Wine (make sure this is a drinkable wine)
    1-2 Shallots Chopped (or 1 medium onion, chopped)
    Garlic (fresh preferred)
    Grated Parmesan
    Dried Red Pepper Flakes
    Italian Herbs Seasoning
    Pepper
    Salt

Cut chicken in preferred method. Wash hands. Put large pot with 1 gallon of water on heat, bring to a boil. Salt the water. Put chicken in pan that has been sprayed with non stick spray, cook over med heat. Wash hands again.
    Remove chicken from pan and place in a bowl when done, leave pan on heat and put butter and olive oil in pan. When butter is melted put shallots and garlic in the pan. Cook until shallots are opaque. When water boils, cook pasta according to package directions.
    In the pan with the shallots and garlic, pour in about 2 cups of white wine and add seasonings to taste. Stir the pan until all the bits are off the bottom of the pan and add chicken back into the pan.
    Drain pasta after it has cooked and toss with sauce. Taste. If the sauce needs to be thicker, leave over warm burner to allow for reducing. If you need more sauce add more wine to the pot. This would be a good time to taste for additional seasoning and adjust as needed. Toss with parmesan and enjoy.

Everyone should own a crockpot-- it's the easiest way in the world to get a nutritious dinner on the table, and you don't even have to be at home. No matter the ingredients you use, the premise is the same-- throw your ingredients in the crockpot with some liquid, set it on low for 8 hours and by the time you're home from work or school, your meal is ready when you are! Here's a great recipe to get you started:

Pumpkin Ale Pot Roast

Ingredients

1 5 pound beef pot roast
    6 russet potatoes, halved then cubed
    4 large carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
    2 cups cubed pumpkin
    1 shallot, diced
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 bottle of pumpkin ale
    Approximately four cups of water
    Salt and pepper

Instructions

Put the potatoes, carrots and pumpkin on the bottom of the crock pot. Season the roast with salt and pepper, and lay on top of the vegetables. Pour the pumpkin ale over the roast. Cover with enough water so that the vegetables are submerged and the water comes up just to the bottom of the roast. Cook on low for 6-8 hours until done. During the last half hour or so of cooking, remove 2-3 cups of the broth. In a saucepan sauté the shallots in the butter. When just translucent, about 5-7 minutes, add the flour to the shallots to form a roux (paste). Slowly whisk in the reserved broth, stirring constantly until it thickens. This will be the gravy for the roast.

Serve warm, with a crusty Italian bread and some bottles of pumpkin ale. The ale gives this roast a moist, rich taste, and doesn’t taste overwhelmingly of pumpkin. You’ll be pleasantly surprised-- this ain't your mother's pot roast!

Quote Originally Posted by anthrogirl
    I also have a recipe.

Poultry Soup

This soup is easy, because you can use whatever you have on hand. I call it 'poultry soup' because I use whatever carcasses I have on hand. If you live in a farm area or you just had a turkey, feel free to experiment! I've used duck, goose and pheasant carcasses and they tasted delicious! If, like me, you put uneaten or uncooked wings, necks and gizzards in the freezer, here's where you can use them. They deepen the flavor of the stock. I've also been known to throw in leftover stuffing, which thickens the soup nicely and helps to extend it for large groups.

2-3 poultry carcasses (save your poultry carcasses in the freezer for this soup, or buy carcasses from your local farmer's market- I buy mine from Quattro's Wild Poultry Farm at my Greenmarket)
    2 chicken breasts or 1 turkey breast, chopped (I use leftovers)
    4-5 carrots, peeled and cut into coins
    1 cup of peas, broccoli, or whatever other green vegetable you have on hand
    1 cup chopped onion
    4-5 cloves chopped garlic
    1/4 pound sliced mushroom tops (reserve the stems for chopping and cooking with onions; you can use them in stuffings and other soups)
    1 cup of dry white wine for every 3 cups of water (optional)
    1 large container of low-salt chicken stock
    2 bay leaves
    1 handful of fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
    As much water as is needed to cover the carcasses
    2 dried red peppers or 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    salt to taste

Put all of the ingredients in a large pot and cook on medium heat until water begins to simmer. Turn down to low-medium heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2-2 hours. Serve with buttered and toasted crusty French bread (see below). This is a good soup for lunches- pack it in a lunch with half a sandwich and you'll have hearty eating.

You can add herbs such as tarragon, sage, and oregano to this soup. I pop in a bouquet garni (a tied mixture of fresh soup herbs) whenever I make this, and sometimes I start it at low heat and leave the soup on the back of the stove all day while I craft or do chores. Wine deepens the flavor and makes it just that more tasty. If you have a large family, you might want to make dumplings and cook them in the soup- that will extend your soup even more.

Helpful hint- always make the largest possible soup you can. Soup is great for unexpected guests- you can freeze soup in quart-sized freezer bags so that you'll always have several portions of soup on hand. Then all you have to add is bread.

Fast Garlic Toast

1 loaf French or Italian bread
    4 tablespoons softened butter
    3 cloves finely chopped garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon parsley flakes

Mix butter, garlic and parsley together with a spoon or mixer. Cut the loaf crossways down the middle. Slather the butter mixture on both halves. Put the bread back together and cut it into 3" lengths. Wrap the whole thing up in aluminum foil and heat at 350# for 10 minutes, or lay the bread sections, butter side up, on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven until slightly brown and crispy. Serve immediately.
    Just moving anthrogirl's recipe over here...

I'm really excited by the quality of submissions and the thought that's gone into them so far. Keep it up :D

quick, easy vegetarian/vegan recipe:

Pasta (or couscous) with Broccoli:

1 medium head of broccoli (about 2 cups chopped)
    1-2 cloves garlic
    1 tablespoon olive oil

for pasta:
    1/2 pound pasta (shapes like bowties or radiatore work best)

for couscous:
    1 cup couscous
    1 cup vegetable stock or water
    2 teaspoons olive oil

First, start water for the pasta or prepare the couscous. For the pasta, put half a teaspoon of salt and a little oil in the water, then cook and drain the pasta as usual. For couscous, bring the stock or water to a boil with the olive oil, add the couscous and swirl the pan so it is all submerged, and quickly put a lid on the pan. Let it stand for 5-10 minutes, the fluff with a fork.

While the pasta cooks or the couscous sits, peel the leaves and tough skin off the broccoli stalk, and chop the whole head into roughly 1/4" pieces. Mince the garlic or crush it in a garlic press. Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a pan (nonstick works best) and saute the garlic for 30 seconds or so, then add the broccoli and stir it in. Put a splash of water (about 1/8 cup) in the pan, bring it to a boil, and let the broccoli cook until the water boils off. At this point, the broccoli should be tender. If it isn't add another splash of water and cook it off. If you have white wine or leftover stock, that would be good in place of water to cook the broccoli. If the broccoli is done before the pasta/couscous, just turn off the heat and let it sit.

When the pasta/couscous is ready, dump it into the pan with the broccoli and stir it up. If necessary, heat the pan for a few seconds over low heat to make sure everything is hot and any excess water is boiled off.

This recipe only takes as long as it takes to cook a pot of pasta, since you prepare the broccoli simultaneously. If you're using couscous, it is really better if you make it with stock. I just use half of a bouillon cube in a cup of water. If you use water, you might want to add some salt, pepper, or dried herbs to perk it up. I like to top the dish with parmesan cheese if I use pasta, or grated cheddar cheese if I use couscous. It's just as good (and vegan) with no cheese, though. You could also use other sauteed veggies, like chopped chard or peas.

I've got a few pretty easy ones! Here is one to start.

Spicy Cajun Shrimp

Total Time: about 20 minutes
    Serves: around 4

1-1.5 lbs of unshelled cooked shrimp (thawed)
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup butter
    1 medium vidalia onion, thinly sliced
    4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
    1 teasp of thyme
    1 teasp of rosemary
    1 teasp ground black pepper
    1/2 teasp of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
    2 teasp of sweet peprika
    2 tablesp of Worcester sauce
    1/2 cup of dried white wine
    2 tablesp fresh lemon juice

Rinse shrimp and set aside. Heat oill and butter in a large skillet until butter has melted. Add onions and garlic and saute on medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until onions are softened. Stir in thyme, rosemary, black pepper, cayenne, peprika, and shrimp. Saute for anouther minute or 2 stirring to turn shrimp. Pour in Worcester sauce, wine and lemon juice. Simmer for 3-4 minutes - until shrimp is pink and tender - do not over cook.

I like to make rice with this and serve the shrimp and sauce over it.

Enjoy!

I love squash and pumpkin, you can sub out the squash in this for a sugar pumpkin:

quarter 2 acorn squash

in the bottom of a kettle put 3/4 cup of veg. broth, 1 tablespoon raw sugar, 1 teaspoon sea-salt and 1 cup of water... add steam tray on top - place acorn squash, steam until soft

remove squash

add 2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar to the remaining liquid and 1 teaspoon of butter, reduce to 1/2 cup

remove squash from skin, put into a food processor or blender, with 5 cloves of garlic, 1 tablespoon of butter, 1/4 cup of unstrained apple cider and 1/4 cup of milk - make smooth

add to reduced liquid and stir; while stirring bring to a rapid boil, then turn off heat, stir until bubbling stops

serve warm

I have also made a pumpkin ravioli with a similar recipe but less watered down (you can reduce it). I used a basic flour and egg pasta recipe. Serve it with sage butter.

cranberry sauce

homemade canned cranberry sauce

I used 3 12oz bags of cranberries, a 1lb box of sugar, a green apple, a small lemon and a small orange (all with peal on) and some water (or orange juice).

First add the cranberries to a pot, then the chopped apple, orange and lemon. Pour box of sugar over all then add water until cranberries float. Heats on high until water boils, then turn to medium and cook until all of the cranberries pop. If they are still bitter add a little more sugar to taste. Serve hot or cold.
    This is also a great recipe for sweetening cranberries for cakes or muffins. If you prefer jellied sauce add this to a blender when finished cooking.

Makes 6 -12oz jars.

Sausage Salad

One Onion
    One Bell Pepper
    Four Sausage (either precooked or boiled)
    Olive Oil
    Two Tablespoons extra hot Horseradish
    Stone ground mustard

Slice onions, sausage and peppers
    Caramelize onions in olive oil, add sausage & brown, add peppers until cooked but still slightly crunchy, add horseradish and mustard, mix thoroughly.

Serve

I like to call it “Sausage Salad”, guys like it because it is meat salad…

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads