Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crafts

Crafts

Maybe we should put craft ideas here...

***Edited by artgeek: After you've shared your craft projects in this thread, please provide your contributor info here. Thanks!***

2. # ADS

Five Great Uses for that Metal Trashcan Youíve Got Out Back

Trash cans arenít just for trash anymore, kids. In the days of Rubbermaid, those small, charming silver trash cans seem to be a dying breed. But I like them for their distinct un-plastic-ness, and other people do too, since thereís a whole host of new things you can do with them:

Electric Meat Smokeróget instructions for how to fashion your own at http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html (I originally found this idea in Ready Made Magazine, but they donít have their instructions posted onlineóitís essentially the same as whatís listed at the above website).

Potato Barrelóyes, potatoes can be grown in containers. And the trash can is the perfect size for your balcony or fire escape. You can find instructions at http://www.ciscoe.com/archive/spuds.html .

Water Fountainóthis would look great on an urban patio. All you need is a trash can, a five gallon bucket to fit inside (youíll invert it on the bottom to provide a platform for your water pump) and a water fountain kit (which can be found at most home centers and hardware stores). Follow the instructions that come with your water fountain kit and voila, neat urban fountain.

Compost Binódrill some holes in the cover for air flow and toss in the good stuff. Youíll have to manually turn the compost every few days or so, so a shovel or compost fork will be good to have around.

Soil Storageóthis is why I want one. Since all of my plants are growing in container potting soil, I rotate it by season. At the end of summer growing season, Iíll empty all the containers into the can and mix in some compost, and let it sit through the winter. For winter plantings, Iíll use fresh potting mix, and then trade that out with the stuff in the bin when spring rolls around. This way Iíll always have a good supply of customized potting soil to work with.

I like to contribute my draft blocker. I made a tutorial for it on my blog
    http://craftingchaos.com/?p=9

Here's a snippet:

"My work space is the furthest room from the wood stove and is notably cooler than the rest of the house. The back door is in this room and there was a draft coming through the bottom of the door. I decided to make a draft blocker.

It's the time of year when insects sneak in through the cracks in the door so I used my insect fleece fabric from my stash. I cut out a retangle long enough to span the width of the door."

I thought this might be a good project for people moving into their own place because there are often doors that have drafts blowing in. Plus this can be a project on the cheap. All the materials I used were from my stash so it didn't cost me anything to make.

craft contribution

I would like to contribute with my jewelry gift boxes and my handpainted necklace display - how do I do? Do I post the text here and link to the pics?

Neovamp, that would work great. If you have higher resolution photos for the book, you could also send them to me via e-mail.

could send me an email address to cosmicbaron@hotmail.com? thanks.

For knitting:

When I'm on the go I carry a small makeup clutch with knitting essentials. A cloth tape measure, a small notepad, a pen, scissors, a small ball of acrylic yarn for quick fixes and a crochet hook to pick up dropped stitches and stich markers. This is a great knitting travel kit and has come in handy many times.

I would like to submit my record clock project. I've written a tutorial on my blog.

http://craftingchaos.com/?p=31

(I'll email bigger sized photos.)

Painting your own pottery is a lot of fun and functional!
    Check out our collection of ready to paint ceramic bisque.
    Crafts-c10006.jpg

nore sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads