Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    marble is both porous AND really bad for knives. you will both scratch the board and dull the knife if you cut on it. marble will also absorb food juices and discolor.

i'm guessing it was designed to be more of a display board (for arranging a cheese course on or whatever) than an actual cutting board.

2. # ADS

Sorry, my mistake. i checked the box and it says, (in small letters 'granite cutting board, with the look of MARBLE, Is non porous and will not be marred by repetitive cutting') Doesn't say anything about being bad for knives. But I guess it would be since it is 'non-forgiving'. More info appreciated as i would like to know if I should use for 'decorative purposes only' -PHH

Quote Originally Posted by twilight
    I remember when my husband and I first started out in our little apartment. We were poor and had just the basics. Perhaps we can have a bare bones, low budget alternative list too?

Here's my suggestion for that:

4 plates
    4 bowls
    4 glasses
    4 mugs
    silverware for four
    two good knives for cooking
    1 baking sheet
    1 wooden spoon
    1 mixing bowl
    1 spatula
    1 bowl with lid
    1 fry pan

While having more items is nice I think a skelton kitchen supply list would be a good addition.
    Thanks. I think we'll have a 'bare-bones' and a 'thrift-shop heaven' version. I have most of my items through thrift shops and yard sales, with the exception of the current blender and the toaster oven (wedding gifts). I would add measuring cups and spoons to your list, though. Could you do that, and we'll credit your list to you?

Quote Originally Posted by princesshammerhead
    Sorry, my mistake. i checked the box and it says, (in small letters 'granite cutting board, with the look of MARBLE, Is non porous and will not be marred by repetitive cutting') Doesn't say anything about being bad for knives. But I guess it would be since it is 'non-forgiving'. More info appreciated as i would like to know if I should use for 'decorative purposes only' -PHH
    Hmm. Granite? I don't have an answer to that one. I'll try to check...

Quote Originally Posted by anthrogirl
    Thanks. I think we'll have a 'bare-bones' and a 'thrift-shop heaven' version. I have most of my items through thrift shops and yard sales, with the exception of the current blender and the toaster oven (wedding gifts). I would add measuring cups and spoons to your list, though. Could you do that, and we'll credit your list to you?
    Cool. I just edited my list. :)

Quote Originally Posted by h_pets360
    What about a list of environmentally friendly cleaners? Not just "buy this brand," but homemade scouring powder with borax and baking soda. Would this go here?
    I think it would. Please- give us a recipe or 80, and we'll put it in.

Quote Originally Posted by princesshammerhead
    Quick question about cutting boards. Both plastic and wood have been mentioned. How about marble? I just recieved one for xmas it is beautiful, but can it be sanitized? It is non porous and would not mar from the knife???Just curious. -PHH
    I found what may be some answers here (http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?p=6802375). I looked around the internet, and this was the best answer I could find on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by h_pets360
    What about a list of environmentally friendly cleaners? Not just "buy this brand," but homemade scouring powder with borax and baking soda. Would this go here?
    I know it's a brand but Dr. Bronner's is an amazing products. It's so versitile-I've used it for shower soap, for washing dishes, for doing laundry, so soaking really stained clothes. I've even used it for toothpaste although it didn't taste that great.

Plus it's so strong you can dilute it down so it will last a really long time.

Here's a hint. Don't have a screwdriver handy in your kitchen? A metal vegetable peeler will fit most screws in pot handles and such for a quick tightening. Oh also if you have a kitchen window that fogs/ices up when you are cooking, simply wipe it down with glycerine or diluted anti-freeze.

-PHH

I like the maid idea. I can't afford it. But, I can give you a tip I learned. When it comes to cleaning the bath tub. Oven cleaner works great. Just run the hot shower for a little bit. Then spray the oven cleaner on and let sit for about 10 minutes. Just some advice.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads