Helpful hints on crafting

We could put those here...

2. # ADS

The Silpat is not only great for cooking. You can actually use it for messy craft projects. It's a sheet of silicon with wire in it, and you can use it to protect your surfaces. Most importantly, it's almost impossible to permanently stick anything to it. Everything either flakes or washes right off.

Did you accidentally iron the wrong side of the fusible interfacing, and get gunk on your iron? I've done that more than once, myself!

Open up a section of a newspaper so you have a big piece a few sheets thick, and put a handful of salt in the middle. With the iron on a medium dry setting, iron back and forth over the salt in all directions. If the salt gets too spread out, shake it back to the center and keep ironing until all the sticky goo is off. Use a dry towel to brush off as much loose salt as you can, then go to a steam setting and iron back and forth on the towel while blasting steam to get rid of any clinging salt.

You probably wouldn't want to do this if your iron has a teflon plate, but for other irons, it works great to get melted plastic or other gunk off the plate, and you don't even have to wait for the iron to cool.

When I'm sewing, I always end up with little bits and pieces of thread. Most of the time they wind up on the floor, even when I try to throw them into the little trash can by my sewing area (funny how they just manage to float out of there). Anyway, to combat this problem, I take a plastic container (a recycled margarine or whipped topping tub work well, you want it to be a little flexible) and cut a small X in the center of the lid. When I have little leftover thread pieces I can just push them through the X. That way they all end up in the same place until I'm ready to toss them out. I've also heard of people throwing the little thread bits out in their gardens so that birds can use them to build their nests.

When I have leftover pieces of yarn that are more than a foot long, I save them for smaller projects. I've used them to put edging on gloves, to make cell phone holders, and for the really long bulky pieces, I'm saving them to make a rug. I a;so use them to embroider small items; I also sometimes crochet them up into flowers.

thread alternative

When I'm in a pinch and need thicker than normal thread, I use floss!! It's durable and you can get it from the dentist for free!

Remove Ads

Ads