crafty/cheap holidays

Place your ideas for making holiday (Christmas or otherwise) gifts and decorations affordable.

And after you've posted, provide your contributor information HERE.

2. # ADS

"home-assembled" gifts

Even if you feel, like I often do, that you aren't up to the challenge of making something gift-worthy from "scratch," you can still give a unique gift with a personal touch that you have put together rather than "made."

I love baking, but everyone who has eaten my baked goods knows that the outcome of my creative baking endeavors is... hit-and-miss. Still, I love giving edible gifts for the holidays. With so many people feeling generous, gifts can pile up by the end of the season. So gifts that can be consumed are sometimes just the thing. Instead of taking my chances with cookies or brownies or pies, I like to give the main dry ingredients as a gift and leave the hard part to people who are better at it. All you need is your favorite recipe on a card, and a jar. Place the dry ingredients for the recipe (flour, sugar, cocoa, spices, chocolate chips, nuts etc.) in the jar, seal it and tie the recipe to it with a ribbon. tada! You can gift soups and powdered drink mixes this way as well.

You can use the idea of "home-assembled" gifts to put together a gift perfect for an individual personality as well. An aspiring gardner might love a few seed packets or bulbs and a spade in a small bucket, basket, or flower pot. A female friend who loves smelly things might enjoy a fun bag of potpourri in a pretty bowl with a few candles. Buying small things that fit a theme and packaging them nicely (even with cellophane or saran wrap and a bow) can be an inexpensive way to give a unique gift.

Decorating your Christmas tree doesn't have to break the bank. And your ornament collection will have much better memories for you if you spend some time with family and friends hand-crafting them, instead of buying a boring ornament set. Here are a few easy ideas:

Tinsel photo ornaments-- print photos from your computer in wallet-sized prints. Use a 3-inch circle hole punch (or a good old fashioned compass and scissors) to punch out the photos. Punch out an equal number of pretty pictures from old Christmas cards. Glue the photo rounds to the card rounds. Finish the edge by gluing a tinsel pipecleaner around it. Punch a hole in the top with a small paper punch and thread a ribbon through.

Pinecone ornaments-- cut a length of fabric ribbon six inches long. Hot glue a small pinecone to each end of the ribbon. Use extra ribbon to tie two small bows, and hot glue the bows over the edge of the ribbon where it's glued to the pinecone, to give it a finished look.

String garlands out of bright beads, yarn pompoms, gum wrappers, colored paperclips or paper mached balls-- or good old-fashioned day-old popcorn or fresh cranberries.

Origami stars, flowers or baskets (filled with Christmas candy).

Glittered (Anything)-- pick up some cheap plastic forest or barnyard animals at the toy store, or some plastic fruit at the craft store, or some pinecones from outside, spread white glue all over it and sprinkle with glitter.

Sequined ornaments-- get some styrofoam balls (or squares, whatever shape you want), some dress pins (little push pins without the plastic heads on them) and a bag of sequins. Use the pushpin to secure the sequins onto the ball, making designs and color combinations that look nice to you.

Cookies-- gingerbread cookies with white icing look great and will hold up for a couple of weeks.

Pomander tangerines-- push whole cloves into a tangerine (lighter weight than an orange so you can hang it on a branch). Push a pushpin into the top and attach a ribbon for hanging.

And don't forget the candy canes!

String garlands out of bright beads, yarn pompoms, gum wrappers, colored paperclips or paper mached balls-- or good old-fashioned day-old popcorn or fresh cranberries.
    And if you have kids, don't forget the ever-popular paper-chains!! Kids love to make them and then you can accomplish some other decorating tasks that would go better without a "little helper" while they are making the chains.

Keep a gift box. That's not specifically a holiday tip, but... The idea is to have a box at home where you can put all kinds of giftable stuff (things you find on sales throughout the year, freebies, things you've made but don't have a use for yourself - or even stuff you've been given, depending on how you feel about regifting). When the holidays or someone's birthday comes up, you can just look through it to see if there's any suitable gift. Much easier and probably cheaper than having to go shopping all the time.

stamped wrapping paper

Make custom wrapping paper- we use some paper that I got from a printer who was getting rid of extra stock, so it is big enough for pretty large presents.

Using an alphabet stamp pad we stamp holiday messages and people's names etc on the paper. It's pretty cute- and fun.

Check out our Christmas Ceramic Bisque section for some Christmas stuff to paint! Lots of fun and relaxing!

crafty/cheap holidays-c10006.jpg

Previously, I've made cookies for christmas. A few years ago, I made mason jar layered fruit bread kits with a little recipe tied around it in a bread loaf tin. Both were pretty inexpensive.

Hmmm.....gooood)))

Remove Ads

Ads