Thread: starting out

starting out

Hi!
    I just started this within the year, it's called Starcrazy and it's baby clothing. My husband owns a screenprinting shop and so I thought it would be easy to to start a company. I draw, he prints. Except...my stuff isn't mainstream enough for the shops around here(they are either upscale or used clothing) and I feel lost in how to market them or how to get them in stores. They are simple, fun drawings I did of animals with stars for eyes or a star on their belly. I just wanted something that wasn't pink and blue...you hip mamas know what I mean. Also, I want them to be affordable to the simple gal. Any ideas or suggestons?

2. # ADS

Hello,

I'm not a mom - but I used to plan fundraising events. So I just have an idea that might work for you. I don't know the area you are in - but a lot of charities have fundraising events (dinners, parties) with a silent auction where people can bid on items and then the money raised goes to the charity. They are always looking for nice things to add to their auction. By donating an item you are usually listed in the program, and lots of people see your items (the baby clothing) and it might be a nice way to get your baby clothing seen by a lot of moms. Usually women attend charity events.

Look in your directory for local charities - especially those that help babies and children, or those that help the arts since your clothing is so creative. Call and ask if they have any events that they need items for a silent auction, that you would like to donate from your new line of baby clothing to their next silent auction.

Just an idea. :) Good luck!!!

:) Abigail

Thank you Abigail, that is a great idea. I started this company with the intent to donate a portion of the profits to charites that help moms and babes...this will be a nice way to get my name out there and help good causes.
    Carmen

THe idea about auctions is great. I'm just starting out with doing floral arrangements (artificial for the holidays). My younger brother is still in high school, and his choir has a huge auction every year at the beginning of December. It's huge in our hometown; and they love stuff like that, so I'm going to donate a couple of arrangements to get my name out.

Good luck (from one starter to another)!

how about making a website featuring your designs? or a printed lookbook? then you could research stores that might be interested and email them or send them a lookbook. i know out here in nyc hip mommy and baby clothing is very popular!

good luck,
    erika

Thank you Erika!
    I don't know what a look book is, I am not computer savy at all. I do have a friend working on a website for me and hopefully when it is done people will find it easily. I don't want to depend on the site, but what I may do is advertise the site in local weeklys.
    I love NYC, I just visited in Oct. Thanks again!
    Carmen

hey carmen

a lookbook is what they do in the fashion world. its just basically a nice printed catalog of your products that you can send around to prospective stores. or maybe you could do a postcard introduction to your company that you can mail out.

we have had great luck with the website, posting on forums, meeting people online, etc. it takes some time and alot of online research but there are seemingly endless resources! i think it'll be a great help once you have a website, if not to sell online, to at least market online.

keep new york in mind! i'd love to see your work once you have it up.

keep in touch,
    erika

Remove Ads

Ads