Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how did you choose your biz name?

for those of you with crafty businesses, how did you go about choosing the name?

i keep daydreaming about setting up a bunch of craft activities to do on the side part-time. even if i wouldn't set up my own business, per se, i would want to associate some kind of name with designs i do.

i don't want my name to be part of it, and i don't want it to tie to only one thing, since i jump all around and do things as they strike my fancy. i'm pretty eclectic, so don't want to nail myself to a particular style, either. right now the name in my head is scattered hatchings. any thoughts?

i guess i'd just like to hear what inspired you to give identity to your craft...

2. # ADS

Mine is actually a combination of both of my names. I took forever to pick something, I finally had to just suck it up and choose. I played around with things I liked or things that were special to me and tried them with combinations.

Well, I'm just starting out (have a business permit and a tax number, have done one show, website in the works), but I'll play. My business name is Apple Venus, which is a lyric from the song "Then She Appeared" by XTC. I picked it for a variety of reasons:
    1) I like that song
    2) I first heard it on Gilmore Girls, which I am fairly attached to and obsessive about
    3) The Apple part is kind of a vague allusion to Apple Corps, the Beatles' company
    4) The Venus part is kind of girl power-y
    5) It's distinctive but not difficult to spell or pronounce
    6) In an alphabetical list of businesses/vendors, I'll be near the top.
    So sort of a combination of sentimental and practical. Plus it's got street cred ;).

Alison

mine came about when someone added my school initials before my nickname and said UD Andi.

It isn't the most straightforward spelling of a name and people either can't spell it or don't get 'You Dandy' from it, but it is short and I knew the URL would be available and I've had it 3.5 years now.

I like "scattered hatchings"! I think it's the kind of name that would stick with people.

I was trying to think of something a little 50s/retro for my business name, and something that didn't tie me to a specific business area in case I wanted to change. I also wanted to make sure searching for the name wouldn't bring up a million other unrelated things, that a dot-com was available for it, and that it was memorable and easy to spell. Hence: Plain Mabel

marketa, sounds like you're on the right track, thinking of names early-on and not going with something that pigeonholes you. I like "scattered hatchings"! It definitely has an eclectic/art feel, and barely anything comes up in Google when you search on that term, which is good.

thanks for the responses so far... i love the websites i've seen that belong to y'all... each one is so original and fun!

thanks for feedback on my naming process. i'm totally daydreaming, mind you, as i'm nowhere near close enough to think of giving most of my things away, much less selling them. but it's fun to think of what could happen in the future...

the other naming thought i had was some combination of the names of my two grandmothers. anna and blanche. something like anna blanche [designs, originals, whatever] or a variant of that in one word, like anablanka (which uses the czech version of blanche). so, anna blanche designs, or anablanka originals, anyone? honest feedback is appreciated!

everyone always asks us this question and sometimes i wish i had something super clever or meaningful to answer back with! truth is, we were just on the phone late one night and i combined both our names (lauren and erika) and came up with luka! we wanted something feminine and pretty.

i like your idea of anablanka, its unique and fun to say. if you're planning on starting out on the web, it'd be a good idea to check what domains are available to use.

good luck!
    erika

Years ago, when I first joined AIM, I needed a screen name. So in the interest of getting a name without a string of numbers on the end, I looked at my guitar - blue. Alvarez. BlueAlvarez. It was kind of memorable, and almost sounded like a real name (from the 1960s anyway). So I just hope Alvarez Guitars doesn't sue me. :)

Re: Business name...

It was rough choosing a name for my business...I didn't want to choose something that related to what I made 'cause what if I started making something different!!? (ADD is a horrible thing!).

I have a silly cat named Cornelius who seems to get himself into all sorts of mischief and manages to demand attention at all times, so I decided to name my business "Silly Cornelius". The name is non-descript but unique and I can feel free to switch my focus (happens ALL the time) from jewelry making to sewing to book arts, without it effecting the business name...am I making any sense? I haven't sucked down enough coffee yet this morning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads