Starting a Business, Any advice would be great

Hey there!
    I am starting my own business where I sell clothing that I have made and embroidered. I was wondering if any of you out there have any helpful advice or cautions I should know about. Also my first item is going to be auctioned off on EBAY. It's a super cute cropped yellow jacket with a mermaid on the back.
    Hope to hear from anyone!
    becca

2. # ADS

How are you going to be selling your wares? Through eBay only, your own website or through consignment on another's site. Always remember that eBay tends to be a bargain hunter's dream, where as if you sold it by yourself elsewhere you might get a prettier penny for it. Although it all depends upon your target customer.

I'm assuming you have gone through the whole "legalizing" of your company, registering your name and getting a tax license. If not, you really need to check into doing that. Every state is different; so check out their website for more information.

Other then that, just remember to have fun with whatever you do. As soon as it begins to become more like work...then you have a problem.

I also live in MO, Springfield to be exact. Actually I have no idea how to even start a business. My boyfriend is a graphic designer so he's goign to design my website and set up a store for me on my website. I'm a little nervous that I won't find the right audience. Is there any marketing tricks that you know?

Also, do you know what the licensing rules are?

starting new biz

HI-
    I am starting my own business, too. I have a website and to get people to actually go there is the hard part. Link exchanges are good. (I was just about to post a call for links.)

But, I think you'll have better luck going to fabric art shows and selling directly to your customers.

Good luck. Let me know when you're ready and we can exchange links.

I'm close to you Mo. peeps, but here it may be different.
    I have to have a DBA if I sell in my county or surrounding.
    To sell wholesale, I have to have a tax ID and register my biz.
    I am trying to sort through it all and through the whole trademark riggamaroll. It is expense and a pain in the (Beep). But will be worth it.
    I am selling on consignment only at the moment and it is keeping me plenty busy.

Adding your link to all the possible webstore listing places (Bust.com's "Girl Wide Web", for example) can be very helpful in generating hits.

Might I suggest CraftView.net

It's my site :) and it was started because I had the same problem you had -- where to sell my stuff! Now I sell my Digital Scrapbooking Kits and handmade papers on CraftView and I love it -- plus it's cheap (only 25 a listing -- much cheaper then a consignment shop!!!) -- right now I have about 20 members and that leaves a few categories empty -- you would be the first to post clothing (unless someone else jumps in).

Anyway -- check it out :) -- I'm getting over 1000 unique visitors a day (something is bound to bite for you there!)

Probably the best advice I can give is to call the SCORE office near you and ask to speak with one of their counselors. They have retired entrepreneurs who volunteer to meet with folks just starting out in business. It's totally free & an awesome opportunity. Their advice means a lot because they have already been successful.

You do need to do some stuff (get a biz lic., sellers permit, file your business name, etc.) but the specifics vary a bit from city to city. A SCORE volunteer can give you the 411 and other advice specific to your market.

their website is here: http://www.score.org/

SCORE rocks!

Hey! I agree with DevilDoll, take advantage of the great *free* advice SCORE has to offer. I just started my own business and took classes at my local SCORE chapter that were super helpful plus I'm going in for one on one consultation. Just be sure you have all your info organized, it's good to have a list of questions to ask.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Here's another one: learn to politely ignore 99.9% of all the "business advice" your friends and family members will helpfully provide despite the fact that they know nothing about running a business. Be nice and say "thanks, that's a great idea, I'll look into that" ...but look to folks who have succuessful business-runnin' experience for the real dirt.

Remove Ads

Ads