Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ever do craft fairs?

Has anyone done craft fairs? What did you sell? Did you make much? Did you enjoy it?

I'm partly curious and partly seriously thinking about selling things at local fairs. Of course, I haven't actually figured out what I'd sell or anything.

2. # ADS

I've never done them myself, but I grew up at them - my mother did leatherwork and traveled to at least 4 craft fairs a year. I love the culture of the craft fair, the swapping between vendors, the sharing of ideas, and the traveling.

I love the culture of the craft fair, the swapping between vendors, the sharing of ideas, and the traveling
    Except for the travelling, it's kinda like GetCrafty!

Actually, the one show I did wasn't very friendly between vendors. It was very competitive. I don't know why I had issues, because I didn't have anything that competed with anyone around me, but they would all glare at me as I was taking money and getting attention. I know that show was an exception though and I am sure there are other shows out there with a happy atmosphere between vendors.

I do think I was helped by making eye-catching funny signs and I also embellished my items with large humorous tags and extra ribbon and fibers. Make your booth stand out and at the same time make it look inviting.

It also helps to have items that aren't at every show every year. I really think that is what helped me among those wooden santas and snowmen and one-stroke painted items.

If I think of more to help you, I will post them. I need to suck down another Diet Choke and get 4 bags done before noon (2 hours!).

that's really good advice, queen pam - about making the booth look inviting. I've never done a craft show, but am doing one on July 3rd, and am thinking of ways to "make" people come into the booth. It's outside, and I'm going to use a huge 10ft diametre canvas umbrella instead of an EZup tent, with two tables in an L-shape. I think it's a good idea NOT to have your main table just at the front of the booth - it gives too many people a chance to just pass on by - you want to pull them in. I will be using lots of bright linens as table coverings, so I hope that it will create a comfy but bright and inticing atmosphere. I was thinking of your idea of making it "inviting", and maybe, it might be cool to bring a really comfy chair, that tired folks can rest in for a few minutes, and spend some time chatting with me, and hopefully eyeing up my wares! (the one's I'm selling, not the ones under my clothes ;) ) I sell handmade journals, photo albums, mobiles, etc.

Do you have ideas for signs without having to get one of those vinyl things made?

My mom and I do the craft faire here...we know the lady that runs it, and it's also right down the hill from our house..so hey.

Usually she makes and sells baked goods...cookies, brownies, etc.
    They do really well most of the time.

This last time we sold tea towls that my grandma had embroidered. They went soooo fast though, that we'll have to make more.
    I sold marble magnets. But since they're everywhere now, they didn't do so great this time. People think they're cute though.
    I need to make jewelry with the marbles on it, instead.

It was fun, but make sure that get change from the bank. Also, set up a shady booth if you can. We bought one of those canopy sorta things that stands on 4 legs, and all the sides are open.
    I like to hang my huge batik cloth off the back of it, and then I have these chinese lantern string lights I put up [they don't actually light up in there] just for fun. I also use the batik sarong things for table cloths. They're colorful, big and match each other, so it works.

i love doing craft fairs! but you really have to find the right ones for you. i do mexican-y art and i've been at several that wanted the cutesy country stuff. so i was the weird booth. now i do research and check them all out before i sign up.

I was excited to see this thread! I actually just sent in my confirmation for participating in a craft fair for this coming fall. It is to benefit the music department for one of the local schools, so I was going to make some things that are music related/themed to go along with my other odds and ends.

This is my first craft fair ever, so I would reallllly welcome and totally appreciate any insight you veterans can offer!

i'd like to know --- how do you get involved in craft fairs? how do you find out about them so you can get started in contacting people?

I found a flyer at one of my local craft supply/fabric stores asking for crafters. It was a total accident that I even noticed it. Your local stores might be a good place to start. :)

I suppose I am a bit of a veteran. In high school I sold hand decorated boxes, handmade candles, and dream catchers with my friends at a craft faire that runs from March to November in Southern Califronia, called the Monrovia Street Faire. It happened every friday evening. It was tons of fun!

More recently I have been selling at varoius craft faires around my new home here in New England. I have yet to take part in the Bizzare Bazaar in Boston (although I would like to this year), but I have been in the RISD Alumni Sales for three years now (bi-yearly). I sell stuffed creatures with my friend who also makes stuffed creatures. To mix it up a bit we also make some quilted art, and I make magnet sets.

We both have done pretty well for ourselves averaging $400-$500 per sale each. I know some of the other vendors do even better than us with higher ticket items like jewelry, handbags, etc.

It has a lot to with advertising. The Alumni Sales are advertised a bunch, and so was the Monrovia Street Faire. If you are applying to a faire try for the bigger ones and that way there will be more customers roaming about.

I say, go for it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads