Advice on starting up an online business

I am a 24 year old art fiend.

I have always wanted to have my own business selling vintage clothes/accessories and arts & crafts I have created,but I have just never really had an idea of where to start.I feel there are alot of people my age,if not even alot younger,making a profit off there talents over the internet,and Id love to be able to do this!

Any advice would be loved to death.

merci!

2. # ADS

Welcome!

First of all, it's not as scary as it seems, honest! :)

Start small, do it part time. You can set a shop up on Etsy (www.etsy.com) as a good way to start. Make sure you take good, clear, closeup photos in good light on plain backgrounds (I lay my jewelry on paper or solid colour fabric with a subtle texture, and use the macro setting on my camera.)

Most libraries have computers you can use for internet purposes if you don't have one and don't go to school. If you don't have a digital camera (I didn't when I started), Walgreen's can burn any photos you take with a normal camera to a CD when you get them developed.

The community forums at Etsy are great for getting quick answers to newbie questions.

Good luck!

Re: Advice on starting up an online business

Quote Originally Posted by schwartzy
    I am a 24 year old art fiend.

I have always wanted to have my own business selling vintage clothes/accessories and arts & crafts I have created,but I have just never really had an idea of where to start.I feel there are alot of people my age,if not even alot younger,making a profit off there talents over the internet,and Id love to be able to do this!

Any advice would be loved to death.

merci!

If you want to dip your feet into ecommerce, then starting on auction sites like Ebay or Etsy will see you selling some of your crafts. From there you will learn how to sell, how to improve your selling techniques, dealing and forming relationships with customers etc.

If you want to create a business that will constantly generate you income, then a website is the way to go.

I started with Ebay in which I was a powerseller but it became to much and since then run my own website.

Both methods take equally as long to 'establish a full time income'. It depends on how you 'view' your business. Short term = auction sites, long term = your own website.

Hope this helps :)

Remove Ads

Ads