Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

gifts for dad? (help needed)

Hello, (Sorry if this is a double post, the first one disappeared)
    It seems so easy to come up with ideas for gifts for my mom (both mom and mom-in-law are getting quilts this christmas) but I'm having trouble with the Dads. I've started some scarves, but was hoping for something more.
    Both Dads are really practical and don't go for anything too cute (they are also pretty hard to buy for so I figure at least if I make a gift the sentiment is there). My dad recently inherited an unfinished but beautifully detailed sailboat, so something that would be useful on the boat, or finishing the boat would work (I'm no sailor so I don't even know what he would need). My father-in-law is a musician, and a history buff (trying to write an account of his father's WW2 experience.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated, I love having a dozen projects on the go at once, and since I can't work because of immigration issues, now is the best time to get some gifts out of the way.
    (My brother is already getting a "Bite Me" wall hanging (Subversive Cross Stitch) and pin-up girl dish towels (Sublime Stitching) for his new apartment)
    Thanks!

2. # ADS

For the dad into music, you could make him a record bowl or turn a record into a clock - I have done both of those and they come out pretty well.

If you do a google searchfor either of these you should be able to find directions. Or craftster.org.

Oh, gosh, my dad is impossible, too! Last year, I made him hot cocoa mix. Used Alton Brown's recipe on the Good Eats part of the Food Network site. I think I'll make more for him this year, and try the chocolate syrup recipe, too.

Here's a link, the episode was The Art of Darkness II: Cocoa:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._17908,00.html

My dad is a weirdo and doesn't have anything he's hugely interested in other than movies and music. With that in mind I got some clip art off the puter here and made him a long sleeve t-shirt with Robby the robot on it (he's a big lost in space, and fobbiden planet fan). He said he liked it, I dunno. I thought it came out really well. If you try it, use the printer transfers for dark shirts only! The ones for white t-shirts totally suck. Have fun!

A couple years ago I gave my dad an annotated (by me) copy of Screwtape Letters and he declared it one of his favorite gifts of all time. I just wrote some thoughts in the margins and created an outline in the table of contents specifying what the broad ideas were in each chapter. He used to be impossible to buy for but now his gift includes only the price of a new book and a couple weeks of studying it!

He was a photographer when he and my mom first married and though his pictures were locked away in the attic- I always loved that my suit and tie business dad used to be a hippie photographer. So I made a collage out of my favorites of his old pictures- the best one is of my mom in her 20s with the lighting softened and the caption could read "a woman in love."

I think this year I am writing him a collection of essays on the Virtues.

Bookish that is an awesome idea! My Dad studied photography when he was in university, and I rescued a lot of his old negatives when my mom was cleaning out the storage room! Thanks. (I would be afraid to write, but that sounds like a really meaningful gift.
    I think I will try to make a good shirt for my father in law, I like that. I would make him the record clock but I'm afraid my mother in law wouldn't let him put it up ; )
    (and I think I will make the hot chocolate for me!)
    Thanks,
    Bree

last xmas, i etched a glass for my dad. If your dad is into wine, you can use a wine glass and pair it with his fave. or match whatever glass to the libation of choice. and this gift is good for anyone, and all appreciate it.

I am totally screwed for ideas this year

For the past two years I have bought underpants and silk screened/iron-oned things like "Super Dad" and "Captain Brain" He really liked them

EmmaK

Maybe you could make a fishing hat? If you are good at sewing. You would just need canvas, some grommets, etc.

-Kari

I am giving my dad scratcher tickets. seriously. I don't know why, but he LOVES scratching off those little gray boxes. he never wins more than like $16 - and that only happened once. And, he never redeems them(teehee - my brother always ends up doing it). But, I gotta tell ya, if you put them in a box with, oh say a gold bar, he'd throw that bar aside and be like "cool! scratchers!". He's like a a little kid.....well a kid who likes to gamble. He's an odd man, but I love him

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads