Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Self Destructing Crafts

Please share your stories of crafts/art gone wrong.

Last week, in ceramics, I made a nice selection of porcelain mugs on the potters wheel. On Saturday, I went in to class expecting everything to be ready for glazing. But no. 2 mugs had broken handles, and the other mug had a huge S crack in the bottom.

Everything went into the recycling bucket, and I attempted to make some more stuff, but I'm not too hopeful that my new creations will survive drying either. Which sucks, because I need it for a grade.

Anyone have any good stories to tell?

2. # ADS

I'm taking silversmithing and one of my projects was a to make a ring. I picked out a very nice purple opal for the stone. The teacher was showing me how to set the stone and she cracked it. I wanted to cry, but luckily she had another one that she made fit.

pieces

I make stuffed animals and I have bags of parts and pieces that didn't work for one reason or another.

The week before last I was working on a special order. The woman wanted two boxer doggies. It took me three tries to finally get one the heads the way I wanted, and then I had to try and repeat myself! A project that normally takes a few hours stretched into a day and half affair, killing my weekend.

But sometimes things don't work the way we plan. I figure that is just life, and to keep trying anyway.

Once I made a bunch of resin bracelets and unknowingly and accidently "swooped" my fuzzy hair across them before they were dry and wnet to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night with this awful taste in my mouth - it was one of the bracelet pieces! They were all stuck in my hair! I plucked them out and went back to sleep, the next morning my hair had "cured" to my pillow. Nightmare to the bone, I'm telling you!

Thanks for the laughs, CC! I try to think of the mishaps as serendipity as long as no one is hurt, but it's hard to imagine how resined hair could be a good thing.

Just spilled wax across a project last night, just a few dribbles, but dang! Trying now to figure out how to incorporate that into my work...

It took me a while, but I finally remembered...
    The Sesame Street Suicide.

In college we used to have a crafts center that was full of Sculpey 3, you could make as many things as you wanted, so I made almost all of sesame street, I had ernie, bert, big bird, prarie dawn and assorted other characters on my windowsil.

They were awesome and came out really well for a first attempt. Then out of no where, the shade on my windowsill decided to snap up (I didn't do this) and all of the characters were thrown to the floor, there were limbs and body parts everywhere, it was awful, my sculpey commited mass suicide. I tried gluing them back together, but they were never quite the same :(

jt

The Sesame Street Suicide.
    oh my dear! ROFL!!!!!!!

It's very funny now, at the time it was really really depressing, I wish I had a digital camera back then so I could have taken a photo.

The saddest part was that the crafts center was going to have an exhibit and someone had told me I should apply to show my characters b/c they always saw me working on them.

I guess it makes for a good story though :)

jt

Dangerous craft

I was in metalsmithing class soldering a torus (hollow donut of copper sheet), and didn't take my teacher's point seriously about how it needed a hole for steam to escape. Suddenly there was a loud noise, my torus was gone, and I couldn't hear anything. My classmates came running, asked me if I was OK, to which I replied "Yes, but I can't hear anything" (oh wait, I heard you asking me) and we later found the torus about 20 feet away around the corner.

It looked pretty cool, though, with a 2-inch tear along the seam that just looked Exploded (as it was). I always planned to stuff it with little garnets and make it look like a pomegranate bracelet. Serendipitous perhaps, but could have put my eye out! Too scary.

Oh, yeah! But neat recovery. How cool is that, to stuff the rent with garnets?!

I had this thrown ceramic pot that I used for a catchall for years. The potter sold it as a mistake: the sides had folded in so the cylindrical pot was oval at the top. It was much more interesting that way, I thought.

On the screwup side of things, how many of us have to test wet paint before it's dry? We know it takes X hours to dry to touch, but we still have to touch it at X-2 hours. Duh... (She says as she picks at black oil paint on her index finger.) And why can't we touch in a totally unnoticeable area!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads