Thread: Making Sheets

Making Sheets

Anyone have tips for making your own sheets? I was thinking today that I need to replace mine and then I thought, what the heck, I should make them. The top sheet and the pillowcases seem pretty straightforward. But I would love any advice and need instructions for making the fitted sheet.

*susie

2. # ADS

I looked into making sheets at one point, but it seemed like too much of a hassle.

It's hard to find large width yardage, so you'd probably end up with a seam or seams going down the sheet. This may annoy you as you sleep.

Also, the fabric itself may end up being pretty pricey. I'm guessing you'd need 3+ yards of material, and at $4/yard for nice clearance fabric you'll be spending at least $12 for fabric. (I'd guess you'll probably spend closer to $30 on fabric). For the price of the fabric alone, you can find sheets or sheet sets at Ross, Marshalls, TJMax and Target for that price or cheaper.

If you want to customize your bed, I'd suggest making a duvet cover and some pillow cases or fancier shams for the bed. It's less work overall, but still will give a nice appearance.

Yeah, I was concerned about the material costs. But we have an awesome textile mill here that sometimes you can really great fabric for cheap. And they have the huge bolts so I thought I would see what they would have. But I think you are right about TJMaxx being so cheap it might not be worth it. But at least I can make the pillowcases....;0)

If you have textile mills nearby, you might be able to get widths wide enough to make a sheet. This wasn't an option for me since I had a full size bed (and now a cal king).

If you can get the yardage wide enough, I would just make 2 flat sheets instead of a flat and fitted. If you make one larger than the other, you should have plenty of room to tuck it under the mattress. Bedding stores also sell these mattress sheet clips that hold the sheet in place. If you used that, you probably wouldn't have to add elastic and do the shaping which would make the project a lot easier.

Of course, if you are really anal about having perfectly flat bedding, this might not work for you because the sheets could work loose during the night (especially if you are a restless sleeper).

I had a hard time finding measurements for sheets, so I would suggest measuring your mattress top and sides and then adding 12 inches to the width and length to accomodate foldunder. If you can find super cheap fabric, it could be worth it. And when you get tired of the sheets, you can always reuse the materials into clothing, curtains, pillows, bags, etc.

I have to agree with smudgey cat. I was also thinking of doing the same, but the final cost would just defeat the purpose of saving money---unless you just really really want to make your own sheets!

When we lived in Germany, everyone used those duvet covers to put over these fluffy plain uncovered fleece comforters. They are basically bags to cover the comforter, and seem realatively easy to make. I have one over a twin comforter and could send pictures if you wanted to see it for ideas.

jennjitsu

Remove Ads

Ads