Halloween Party: never threw a party.

Hi I'm in college and I really want to throw a Halloween party but I've never thrown a party before. I don't want it to be like a druck fest or anything but have some fun crafts maybe different station where they can make cool stuff to take with them.

I don't know about dressing up I don't think they'll go for that but just fun crafts and some cool Halloween food.

Oh and what do you do to throw a cocktail party I wouldn't even know where to start with that one.

2. # ADS

First questions that spring to mind are:

Where would you have it?

Who would you invite (how many)?

What's your budget?

About 20 people

In our apartment (don't want to disturb people)

And as little as possible. (remember we're in college)

This year, we are going to have a pumpkin carving party. Me, my boyfriend and some friends are going to the pumpkin patch to take a hayride and pick out pumpkins. Then we are going to my house to carve them and have some food and drinks. Here is some of the food we will be making...

Buttered Rum Spiced Cider
    http://www.backofthebox.com/recipes/...ced-cider.html

Caramelized Brie with apples
    http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=44946

Gingerbread muffins with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._21771,00.html

Crafty chica has some really neat Halloween and Dia de los Muertos crafts up on her web-site.

What about bobbing for apples? That is a tradition for singles. The first one to bite the apple is supposed to be the next one to hook up.

I think cocktail parties these days are pretty much however you want them to be. There are a couple different styles but, the main idea, I think, is for people to meet and mingle. In this case, provide some witches brew and bloody marys and ask your friends to supply whatever else they might want. Would your friends be more willing to dress in costume if you offered a prize?

You could theme the party to make them feel like everyone else will be playing along. For example; vicars and tarts (or "priests and prostitutes"). It's done in England....I didn't expect many people to dress up when I did this on St. Val's day but EVERYONE did.

If you know anyone in Chemistry try and get your hands on some dry ice. Then you can put that in the punch and it gets all witchy. Yum!

I know a lot more about kids' Halloween parties, not sure what adults do, I haven't had one since I was little. But make them dress up because otherwise it's just lame.

I always found the best part about Halloween parties were the pre-parties where a bunch of us would get together, have a few beers, and pull our costumes together. Since you think your friends wouldn't come costumed, why not make that the party? Pull out any and all accessories you have in your wardrobe (include make-up, scarves, hats, lots of safety pins, yarn for wig-making, etc.), solicit some donations from close friends, and encourage your guests to bring any costuming pieces (and ideas!) they wish. You could also buy a few fun things at a thrift store - since you aren't making one costume, you don't have to be picky and can shop for interesting bargains. Then buy one or two disposable instamatic cameras (you know - where you get the picture right away) so you can take pics to give your newly costumed guests.

One tip - I always found that I had to buy a lot less alcohol than it would originally appear - people always bring a six or a bottle. Of course, you know your friends and that may not be the norm in your group.

Second tip - let the word out EARLY about your date and time, especially because it is a big party holiday. And then do NOT change it, no matter who says they can't make it. You will never be able to find a time that EVERYone can make and the important people (the real friends) will be there, no matter what.

Remove Ads

Ads