need a very special craft idea for best friend's 30th bday

so a woman i've known since girl scouts is turning 30 in december. i bought her a small pair of earrings from peru, but i'd like to make her something really special to commemorate the occasion. any ideas? she works for the gov't, so she dresses fairly conservatively, she appreciates handmade things, she travels often, and she's very petite, so big shawls or sweaters would overwhelm her. she has a sports car and likes things that are stylish. she also has a cat, so i don't think i'd give her a throw or something to go on furniture that could be torn. she's lutheran, and very spiritual.

my skills: embroider, knit, crochet, glass etching, decoupage, sewing

i don't make jewelry (other than marble magnets) or really do much woodworking besides refinishing.

i'd like to give her something kind of luxurious. of course, money is an issue. i'm not broke, but i'm saving for school and paying off debt. ideas were a decoupaged glass bowl with vintage themes, a handmade book featuring photos of the two of us or of her family (maybe even coordinate with her college friends and family, and make a book with a dozen or so photos of everyone with personal notes on the back), something silk and small (maybe sew her a lingerie bag for when she travels?).

i would love if it some of the craftistas would help me brainstorm!

2. # ADS

I like the lingerie bag idea, but that's probably because I wish I had one. What about some sort of reusable fabric 'cover' for paperback books, you know, for when she travels.

This might not work out, but I am Lutheran and I always thought that Luther's seal was a neat image:
    http://www.elca.org/co/luthseal.gif
    I'm not sure what to suggest doing with it, but maybe incorporating it in a small way would be neat...

amy

My mom just made some really cute mini quilts for all of her sisters. She had an old photo transfered onto a peice of fabric (she had it done somewhere, maybe a graphics shop? But I know you can buy stuff at Michael's for transfering photos onto fabric) and then made it into a small wallhanging quilt. It looked awsome! I think this would look great with japanese Kimono fabric, which is kinda expensive, i think, but a girl can dream, can't she?

great ideas!

i like the lingerie bag idea too - i had been planning on making myself one, and then i could use that as a prototype and hopefully figure out a nice one for her.

i love that seal of luther too - i wonder if i could make a version of it to make her notecards or something to use for her church correspondance? would that be appropriate? (she volunteers to run their youth group)

and the mini-quilt is fabulous! i really like the idea of using photos of her family and friends to make something for her to hang up.

keep those ideas coming!

My best friend's dad is a minister (so, obviously, a very spiritual guy), and when he got re-married she embroidered one of his favorite biblical verses and framed it for him. It turned out to be really gorgeous, and he loved it.

I've seen some cute lingerie bags in a magazine (RealSimple I think). Anyway, the bag was a flat pocket, with a zipper on top and a separator inside it. One side of the pocket was labeled "clean" and the other "dirty" (In fact, I think it was something cuter than that, but that's what it meant overall). The whole thing was probably 12in x 12in.

I found it really clever, and it would be really easy to do.

Just decorate the two outside squares, lay on top of each other, right face in, add the separator liner, sew on three sides and attach zipper.

Remove Ads

Ads