has anyone ever carved those white pumpkins?

Hello!

At the grocery store, at the nursery and at the farm stand I keep seeing these really cool white pumpkins. I haven't ever seen these in my area - this is the first year they've been around here as far as I can tell.

Has anyone ever carved one of them? Any tips?

:) Abigail

2. # ADS

OT: Those pumpkins always remind me of that kids book Bunnicula. :) When the dog and cat wake up and find all the veggies in the house white from having the juice drained out of them. :)

On-topic: Martha Stewart's Halloween special issue discusses carving different types of pumpkins- white, mottled-colored- so maybe that will help.

I used a bunch of the really small ones as votives for a party I decorated last year.

I had a little white pumpkin (named Eggbert) and I was alllll ready to carve him. And then, as he gracefully reclined on the balcony (really the ledge on the porch), someone sat a little too close to him and cracked his little head open. I'm thinking about just making him into a "rotting giant egg", but I could be convinced to buy an Eggbert II if they look super when they're illuminated...

has anyone ever carved those white pumpkins?

I haven't. But in Better Homes and Gardens Halloween book, iirc, they decorated those pumpkins with glitter. They used clear drying glue and made a sort of--whaddyacallit--pointed drape around the top. That's about as clear as mud, innit? A connected series of triangles that pointed down the sides of the pumpkin. They used mostly orange, purple, gold and green glitter. Really funky.

Quote Originally Posted by ursonate
    I used a bunch of the really small ones as votives for a party I decorated last year.
    Do you by any chance have any pictures? That sounds really cool. Did you just empty them out and stick a candle in them, or did you carve the sides. Also, did you have to treat them with anything to make them last?
    (I'm decorating my mom's place for an open house in mid-november, and I really like your idea.)
    Thanks!

The white ones are kinda blah carved. Any pumpkin carved and lit from the inside on a dark night will look as good as the cleaning and carving job. The orangish flesh will still glow orangish whether the rind is white or orange.

But in daylight, it just looks like you painted an orange pumpkin white after carving it.

It might look cool with a really intricate design etched into the surface with only a few points of light that really come all the way through. Think koi in a fish pond with lily pads and bubbles and ripples. But that kind of carving almost requires power tools.

I have decorated a white pumpkin but it was a self portrait. I'm very pale with light hair and eyes. So it had a blond rapunzel yarn wig, sunglasses and bright red lips. Only cutting was to insert the stems of the eyewear.

I think I swiped that idea from Martha. I think we just emptied them out and stuck candles in. A melon baller works pretty well, though cutting through 30 or so of them killed it in the end.

Remove Ads

Ads