Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *80's Baby!*

*80's Baby!*

heylo everyone!
    i have abit of a dilema. I was gonna be marilyn monroe for halloween, but alas i have to time and i cant find a wig (im a brunette with long hair), blah, blah, blah. so ive decided to be "Flaskback from the Eighties" except I dont rememebr anything about the eighties (im a youngin') and i need some DIY projects for my costume! like legwarmers,etc
    SPANX!
    cherriesontop

2. # ADS

hey there, I replied up in the Halloween post... as far as the DIY, you're probably in luck as you can still find alot of that crap at thrift shops.

I forgot about the legwarmers in the other post. Legwarmers would be good. Easiest way to fake them for Halloween would probably be to buy a thrift sweater and cut the sleeves off to use.

The other thing that is coming to mind, unfortunately for me, is that about 1983-84 was when the whole Preppie look was really big. You could go that way too. Pink polo shirt, cardigan tied over the shoulders, plaid skirt or pants, penny loafers.

I think I'm making myself sick.

How about those barettes where you had 2 different colored thin ribbon and wove them in and out of the hole in the middle of the barette?

Does anyone remember those? It was usually 2 contrasting colors. You could probably find directions online but I don't know what they'd be called.

hehe i guess i should be happy i was never around in the eighties! spanx becky and craftinfool for all your help!

CraftinFool, I loved those barrettes! Making sets of those barettes was an early DIY project that I did with my mom. We would buy the kits and weave, weave, weave! I would wear them with my leg warmers and plastic charm necklace. I was so cool. Just Kidding!!

Thanks for the flashback!!

Yeah, I had the barrettes too. Very scary stuff.

I loved those ribbon barrettes. :) I only had one pair- that I made in Girl Scouts, but I coveted the rich girl that had them in tons of colors. LOL

If you go the polo shirt route, don't forget to turn up the back of the collar. Or you could layer two t-shirts and roll up the cuffs so the second one shows.

There's also the Flashdance-type sweatshirts- take the ribbed collar off and cut the neckline open enough so you can pull it down over one shoulder. Anything aerobics related would work, too, just remember to wear a belt with the leotard (yes, it was disgusting).

Have fun!

this is totally making me want to puke, yet i feel obligated to add the importance of hideous docksider shoes and "winged" hair if you decide on the preppie look. YUCK!!! go for flashdance, that's my advice! also hideous, but way more fun.

oh and it sucked 'cause I could never get my wings to "match", one side would turn out all nice and the other side would just wonk out funny no matter what I did. That would explain why I never cut it with the "in crowd" I guess. Well that and we couldn't afford real Izod and I had to wear JCPenney (which were foxes), and fake Topsiders from Wal-Mart. Nothing more pathetic than a preppie wanna-be.

I had one friend who was genuine preppie, the whole family was, "preppie before preppie was cool". His mom had some hysterical clothes- all those madras plaids and the pearls and the whole bit.

I googled around a bit and couldn't find a pic of those barrettes. However, I did see something which made me scream-

Deely Boppers! Oh my god! What would possess us to go out in public with Martian antenna on our heads? Which reminds me of something even more hideous- the Steve Martin arrow-thru-the-head!

My DH just reminded me of another fashion phase from the 80's- the whole New Wave/ early punk/ Sid Vicious look. (we came from 2 different worlds, the DH and I) Cindy Lauper.

Even going to the later 80's, it was about 1985?- 86?, when Madonna first hit mainstream. That was fun stuff, I remember. Short skirts and combat boots. And layers. Layers seemed to be a big thing for a long time.

cherriesontop- here's some inspiration, a classic http://funwavs.com/movie/pictures/the-breakfast-club/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads