best portable crafts--crafts-on-the-go!

hello!

I'm writing about crafts on the go & wondered, what are some of your favorites? I've started the list with these:

-knitting on circular needles
    -macrame
    -origami
    -drawing

I would love to add some suggestions from the craftistas!

thanks!
    susan

2. # ADS

Susanstars, I think I read about you on "Daydreaming on Paper" no? Dawn's site?

My favorite craft on the go is crochet. You can even do blankets if you do granny squares or strips. And - they let you take crochet hooks on the plane!

when I was a little kid I would take my hand sewing on the go. My sewing wasn't very good, but I could make clothes for my dolls and christmas ornaments. I was also a big needlepointer, on canvas.

I personally never got into embroidery (although I almost did once) but it seems to be very portable.

definitely knitting! i've recently learned to divide up my bigger projects so i can work on smaller pieces when i'm out and about. i'm knitting (very slowly) a sweater right now, so i work on the body at home and a sleeve when i'm out. the sleeve is much smaller and more portable.

crocheting is also portable. today i went to watch an aikido class, and one of the kid's moms was crocheting little washcloths for her preschool students. beadwork is portable if you're not using too many colors, especially if it's something like peyote stitch or couching that doesn't come unstrung.

i don't find my embroidery/applique stuff to be easily portable, because i depend on having LOTS of colors (i usually use 3-4 single strands of different colors as a single thread) and it always gets disorganized or tangled if i try to stick it in a box or bag. i also need really good light to embroider.

ooops sorry I said embroidery but I meant cross stitch. I have seen people with those small kits - then all the colors needed are at hand.

I cross stitched my way through two 6 hours flights this weekend and was happy for it! My floss would be just shoved in a bag at home anyway so that wasn't much of an issue (my supplies are always pretty disorganized). When I am travelling for a short while though I try to only work stretcheds of the same colour.
    Also, I prefer to crochet when I'm out (ie. on the subway in new york) over knitting because there is less elbow movement and it is easier to do in a really cramped space.

Embroidery and cross stich are my favorit take along crafts but also using foamy to make tags for presents etc is a nice take along craft.I have foamy,scissors,paper,pen,glue,string,and a hole punch in a pencil case and its a perfect little project steel aways.

thanks! These are great suggestions. I was thinking about crochet earlier and then spaced adding it to the list when I posted... oops.

I also thought of hand-sewing--I hand-altered a t-shirt once during a trip cross-country, it took quite awhile but it was a perfect car craft.

Arabella, I just checked out Dawn's site again & it is awesome--I hadn't seen it since last year. I don't know if I'm mentioned on it or not, but we have done a swap before & I am a fan of hers. Thanks for sending me over there!

I'd love to hear more crafts on the go if you think of any, thanks so much for the suggestions so far.

susan

PS Breewell & Arabella, did you see the article on modern cross-stitching in the new Martha Stewart Living? It's pretty cool, I want to make the eye exam sunglasses case.

Remove Ads

Ads