easy comfort food recipes?

hi all!
    I'm making personalized cookbooks for my sisters for Christmas, both are in college and could use a collection of comfort food and easy meal ideas. I'm going to get a bunch of family recipes together (favorite meals, holiday food, everyday meals from when we were kids) but I could use some more recipe ideas. I'd really appreciate any recipes you'd like to share!
    Thanks!!

Edit --I didn't realize until tonight that this probably belonged in the "comsuming pleasures" forum instead, oops! Thanks for reading and replying anyway

2. # ADS

One of my personal favorite comfort foods is a creation by my grandmother that I make but my husband doesn't like (what does he know!). No fancy name, just "Rice with apples". Here's how I make it:

Ingredients:
    4 servings of prepared instant rice (which I thing equals 2 cups unprepared)
    2 peeled, cored and sliced baking apples (your choice what kind however I wouldn't reccomend Granny's)
    1 stick butter sliced into pads
    1 cup cinnamon sugar
    1/2 chopped walnuts (opptional)

Directions:
    preheat oven to 400 degrees. If using chopped walnuts mix them in your cinnamon sugar. In a cassorole dish (meduim size) lay down some pads of butter. Then lay down about a 1/4 inch layer of rice. Then lay a layer of sliced apples. Sprinkle some of the cinnamon sugar mixture over the apples with some pads of butter. Then a layer of rice, ect. Continue until you run out of rice and apples. Use remaining cinnamon sugar to top it off. Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes or until your apples are soft. Hope you like it!

My ultimate comfort food is my mom's baked mac and cheese. She doesn't make a cheese sauce, she just puts a layer of well cooked macaroni noodles, then grated cheddar, a pat of butter and a little salt, and repeat. at the end she pours 1/2-1 cup warm milk over it all and bakes it for 45min-1hr (it's a very imprecise science)
    My new favavorite comfort food (that is easy and my husband loves it) is any kind of Strata.
    You layer white bread in chunks (crusty loaves are good) with a meat (I use fake ham since the boy is veggie) and a vegetable (asparagus, spinach or zucchini are reliably good) and of course cheese (if it doesn't have melted cheese is it really comfort food?) and they you mix up 4-6 eggs with milk (as if you are making scrambled eggs) add salt pepper and hebs and spices (oregano, paprika, whatever fits) and pour it over your strata (which incidentally, means Layers). Have enough egg mixture so that the bread gets sufficiantly soaked, but the casserol dish isn't filled to the top (the eggs will expand). And bake! This is really good for using up things in the fridge, and also can be customized to be healthier, whole wheat brad, egg whites, less cheese (sob!). When in doubt I throw anything in a casserole dish and bake away.
    Now I want this. I wonder if I could use chunks of squash?
    That is a great gift for you sisters!

Breewell - yummy recipes! A couple of q's..

What's the temp for the mac and cheese?

What's the temp and timing for the strata?

oops, sorry! Let's see, my oven has a tendency to shut off if I put it below 375 so I cook both recipes at about 375-400. It would be best to cook them at 350, the mac and cheese 35 min covered and then 10-20 mins uncovered, the strata 40-45 min. It is best to keep an eye on them the first time and adjust the time to your taste. I love it when the pasta and the cheese get so baked together that the noodles are no longer separate, and the cheese on top is crunchy.
    Incidentally when I was living in India for 6 months I craved my mom's mac and cheese and a fresh green salad with french dressing as my first meal back home. There was only one phone in the village and it was a 15 min walk away, but I made sure to make a special trip to call home and put my order in! Comfort food sure does do just that, comfort!

Super Easy Chicken noodle soup w/homemade noodles

My mom's chicken noodle soup gets RAVE reviews from everyone 'cause of the homemade noodles. But the secret is that they are REALLY REALLY easy to make, but people always go bananas over them. I make my soup basic -- broth, chicken, noodles.

- broth (I use homemade mixed with bullion, but you can use canned if you want it to be super quick)
    - chicken (I either buy rotisserie and throw the meat in, or use a boneless chicken breast, cut up
    - noodles: mix a cup of flour with one egg, a dash of salt, a dash of olive oil, and water (maybe a tablespoon). Mix it with a fork until it gets too thick. Then use your hands. Roll it out with a pin til it's pretty thin. (1/8 inch maybe) and cut it into thin rectangles. (Kinda small since they expand.) The rectangles should be about two inches long and half an inch wide, but you can do what you want.

Bring the broth to a boil, add the chicken. Boil 'til it cooks, and add the noodles. They take maybe 5-10 minutes to boil. I sometimes then add a little cornstarch mixed with cold water to thicken the broth, but that's optional.

Then it's ready! And just wait for the compliments to roll in...

I bet you could find a recipe somewhere for congee in a crock pot

Thank you for the awesome recipe ideas!! These will definitely add to my sisters' cookbooks (which are a little challenging to put together because they don't like any of my favorite foods, thank goodness my mom knows what they like!) and yay more good recipes for me!!
    Thanks again!! - Aubrigail

Remove Ads

Ads