Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What are your early/favorite crafty memories?

I have a feeling this is going to be a fun post.

- Being in third grade and watching my mom cry over the sewing machine while making a very complicated Simplicity angel costume for me thenight before Halloween. Everytime I got up and peeked at her during the middle of the night, she was aggresively using the seam ripper and giving herself a lecture out loud. But somehow, someway, she got in done in time for school the next morning.

- My Nana Cano who was always sewing or embroidering. When I was little she made me all kinds of handmade things and I stuffed them in my closet or dresser drawers never to be seen again. Now that she has passed away, I'm so mad at myself everytime I think about how I should have taken better care of them. I do still have other things she made me when I was older and had already entered the crafty biosphere.

- Taking a crafts class freshman year for an easy credit and being surprised at how much I loved the projects. Resin, clay, latch hook...who knew I'd be revisiting them years later?

- Hearing my little sister's sob story about how she saved her Home Ec final (making a skirt) until the last minute (night before - it runs in our family), the machine broke and she stayed up all night sewing it together by hand.

- Making baked bread dough necklaces, painting them, and thinking I was on acid when I saw people poking their fingers in them because they looked like rubber. I didn't bake them long enough and the paint softened them up. And yes, this was at a very busy craft fair and I really wanted to crawl under the table!

2. # ADS

Girl Guides! (Canadian Girl Scouts) We made so many awesome crafts (some still hang on my mom's christmas tree, and not because she's sentimantal). My favorites were minature anything! camp fires, frying pans with eggs and bacon, bed rolls... And it wasn't about it being perfect (I was just a perfectionist, even then) we were encouraged to be creative (lots of purple skies and blue trees in our group). Sometime I think I am crazy because I had an amazing girl guide experience, the right balance of crafts, sports, singing, camping and typically "male" projects (computers, carpentry) as well as a healthy dose of politics (envitonmentalism, human rights stuff etc.). I think that is why I went on to be a leader, and did all sorts of cool crafts with my girls.

Baking pinecones and acorns on very low heat for wreath making. Keeps the bugs and worms away. And if they are white pine cones, it melts the sticky sap to a hard clear finish. The smell is heaven to me. Mom would do it for her Camp Fire Girls that I was too little to join.

Embroidering a puppy picture from a transfer. Probably at 4, maybe younger. I don't remember what happened to it.

Plaster casts of shells. Earliest use of that, we'd coat them with vaseline and press into wet plaster, just like the handprints kids do. Later on, I'd fill a shoe box with damp beach sand, impress the shells, remove, then fill slowly with plaster of paris.

Stringing shells on fishing line to make necklaces and bracelets.

Although this is much older, when I was fifteen, I embroidered an old denim work hat of my Dad's with freehand wild flowers and insects. I wore it everywhere. I lost it in a windy rainstorm before I considered it completed.

Fun thread!!

*making collages with my mom - we(my sis, bro & I) were little - 1st grade/preschool maybe? - and I always tried to make mine as nice as moms. Hers was a girl with a gingham skirt and yarn braids

*playing on the floor outside my moms teeny tiny sewing room with empty spools. Later, I would sew things using her scraps(by hand of course) and my dad would get mad about the pins I lost in the carpet and he would step on. I'd beg my mom to let me use her ribbon and iron-on patches

*My very first trip to a local bead store that I found in the phone book - I was in middle school. My mom took me there after school. The owner helped me make my very first pair of earrings(I still have them!). That was the beginning of my bead obsession that lasted a long, LONG time and the birth of this crafty girl!

*As an adult, a trip w/ my mom & sister to a creative arts convention. It was the first time us girls ever did anything like that. Because I didn't knit at the time or sew all that well either, I forced them to take classes they'd never normally take. Hello new hobbies! It was hands down the best weekend I've ever had with the two most creative, influential, amazing women in my life!

Man, I forgot making Barbie clothes. And furniture and whatevers. I'd use an inverted shoebox for her bed, and the prettiest handkerchief of my mom's that I could find for a bedspread. I made slinky gowns out of old knee-his and tube tops and minis out of 2inch bias tape, plus I had a nun's habit made from a black t-shirt and stiff white paper. She had toothpaste cap drinking glasses and hairspray lid ottomans. Tons of teeny hand sewing, lots of rolled hems. My Barbie was a hand me down of one of the very early ones, the bubble hair-do and the black and white striped maillot swimsuit, stiff legs and arms, and boobage that could poke yer eye out. My brother's GI Joe was a great improvement on Ken when I could kidnap him.

One thing I loved was that my Mom would take leftover printer paper my dad brought home from work (was dot-matrix, so it was connected), and she would lay it out in the hallway and have us lie on it, one at a time, and she would trace us on it. Then, we had a lifeline outline and we could draw and color in a picture of ourselves.

I also remember whenever my grandma babysat us, she'd make me wear the ponchos my mom crocheted for me to go out and play with the neighborhood kids, even if it was an early July evening.

Shrinky dinks. Fashion plates. Friendship bracelets. Gimp. Ribbon barettes. Those fake stained glass things you baked.

I have a lot of early crafty memories because my mom is really crafty.

I loved it when I was about seven and my mom, my younger sister and I made paper dolls of ourselves. My mom drew the dolls (of us) and we all made clothes. I got frustrated because I couldn't draw as well as my mom.

My mom got us those little easy-bake cake pans but we just made real cake batter and made little cakes in the real oven.

Making a cloth doll when I was about 12 -- I embroidered the face, sewed the doll, and sewed the yarn hair in.

Learning to sew (age 10?) and making pillows for a first project.

Helping my mom make quilts for family members -- sewing blocks together and ironing the seams flat. Decorating blocks with fabric paint.

I'm 47. I've moved a dozen times in my life, my parents have moved three times since I was born. I see these things so often I don't see them anymore. My mother has a cedar shingle from the house I grew up in. They were repairing a section and this shingle was left over. I found my brother's old wood burning tool and made a daisy shape and leaf on it, painted it in. I just wanted to see what a wood burning tool could do. It's hanging in the hallway outside my parents' room. I did much fancier leather tooling with it that I no longer can find.

My aunt lived on an old place on a river in Connecticut, I spent summers with her for a while as a preteen. I collected smooth rocks there and painted acrylic scenes on them. Oil, too, but those don't look as nice. My mother still has those on end tables or in end table drawers to change up.

I ornamented a tiny HO railroad brush style Christmas tree with baby seashells and that's still around thanks to my mother finding an old dome and base to keep it in. It has the teensiest starfish on top, though one arm is broken.

The first chair I ever refinished down to the wood and rush seat: every time I really look at it, mostly at holiday dinners, I see the spot where I sanded too deep and took off very old stain and patina. I was mortified. It wasn't an heirloom or a real antique, but my mother bought it at an antique (read junk) store and I had this idea I had ruined something very costly.

Things I embroidered or quilted, clothes I altered, vases I painted, Christmas wreaths I made, and that's just the stuff from when I was a kid.

We also have some paintings hanging that came from my artist/nurse cousin, a bit older than me. She doesn't even remember them, but recognizes them as hers in style and by signature. She had to be preteen we figure when she did them. Mostly impressionistic florals. But her mom had rocks I painted and things I embroidered, too. Come to think of it most of my aunts had stuff somewhere from both my cousin and me.

I would be dangerous if I ever slowed enough to focus on one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by breewell
    Girl Guides! (Canadian Girl Scouts) We made so many awesome crafts (some still hang on my mom's christmas tree, and not because she's sentimantal). My favorites were minature anything! camp fires, frying pans with eggs and bacon, bed rolls... And it wasn't about it being perfect (I was just a perfectionist, even then) we were encouraged to be creative (lots of purple skies and blue trees in our group). Sometime I think I am crazy because I had an amazing girl guide experience, the right balance of crafts, sports, singing, camping and typically "male" projects (computers, carpentry) as well as a healthy dose of politics (envitonmentalism, human rights stuff etc.). I think that is why I went on to be a leader, and did all sorts of cool crafts with my girls.

im in girl guides and its alot of fun! i actualy have a little frying pan with bacon & eggs in it and a bedroll too! hehe. i rememeber when i was 8 i made a butterfly nesting box with wood and nails,hammers,etc. i still have yet to put that up.

i have many childhood memories and im alot younger then many of you so i guess the memories havent ended yet. but anyways here are jiust some i can rememeber:

my mom has her BA and was a graphic designer. she even designed a shirt for Levi's(it has a tiger on it, which she drew, my dad STILL has that shirt) now she is a kindergarten teacher and she is so crafty with her students! my mom being her crafty self, got us (my little brother and me) involved in crafts at a very young age.

*fingerpainting, drawing rainbows flowers and people, cutting and pasting, from age 2.

* making collages and paper dolls. i even rememeber having an infactuation with a certain baby from a certain cartoon ( not telling which cartoon!) and my mom drawing the cartoon- baby on 2 separate pieces of paper and stapling them together after stuffing them with cotton. so it was kinda like a doll for me.

* i also loved making jewerly out of random beads and sequins. my mom still has braclets, necklaces, etc that i made her.

* learing to sew at age 7. i sewed alot of mini-pillows and then later barbie clothes. i rememeber my mom helping me with a floor length dress and triangle-bandeau top.

* around age 11 i started sewing purses out of old jeans and then writing random words to describe myself on them. i love those purses and i think i will have to go make one after this post.

* around when i was just about to turn 12 i learned how to crochet. i crocheted book marks alot and crocheted a belt. just recentley i crocheted myself a beautiful black-with-bright-pink-edging scarf out of chennille and i wear it very often:)

* ever since i was little i'd always help my family when they'd cook. i loved helping make homemade pizza with my dad or mom. i got more interested in cooking when i was 9 and i absoloutley LOVE to cook!

* i drew alot too. i have countless pictures that i drew.

some might say my childhood is not over since i am not yet an adult. i am fine with that because i do not have any desire to grow up. any ways, looking back, i feel lucky to have a crafty mother to guide me along the way during each and every one of those crafts. i cant wait to show my future kids how to craft!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads