Hiring someone to knit a project for me?

Advice needed!

I want to make a cool wool throw for my couch, but I've never learned how to knit. So, I was thinking of putting up a sign in my local knitting shop to see if I could hire someone to figure out a pattern for and knit my design.

The design is fairly simple...just a roughly 30" by 60" rectangle (ideally with a long fringe on both short ends) with a geometric shape in a contrasting color in the middle...so I'm wondering how difficult this would be and roughly how long it might take someone to make it, since I have no clue. I can spend no more than $150 or so on this, so I'm wondering it's a realistic/feasible idea, or if I should just give up and go buy a throw...

I don't even have any idea how much yarn this would require and how much good wool yarn costs! Can anyone give me any feedback on cost of materials, amount of labor involved, how much it would be fair to pay someone for the labor, etc??

2. # ADS

I bet you could find a knitter on these boards who would be willing to make it for $150 or less.

A few more questions to make it easier to establish labor/materials:

Do you want it to be a thick, squishy blanket? A sleek, flowy blanket? Do you want it to be machine washable? What colors are you thinking of? When do you want it to be finished?

Thanks for the feedback, guys...

Quote Originally Posted by meexie
    Do you want it to be a thick, squishy blanket? A sleek, flowy blanket? Do you want it to be machine washable? What colors are you thinking of? When do you want it to be finished?
    I was hoping for an elegant, flowy, sleek sort of thing, but not TOO thin, because then it wouldn't be at all warm...and as for colors, probably a medium warm darkish grey background with wine colored and/or green areas...and having it be machine washable would be fabulous, but not necessary (is there such a thing as machine washable wool??). I'm hoping to have this done in time for Xmas....

Yep, there's machine-washable wool, and if you are willing to go with a wool blend (like wool/cotton or wool/acrylic) you might even save some money on yarn.

Putting out inquiries with specific details (now would be a good time to find pictures of blankets similar to what you want in size and weight) might land you a knitter. Just so you know, having it done by Xmas for $150 materials + labor isn't impossible, but this late in the year a lot of knitters will have a list of projects they need to finish by the holidays, and may not have the time to work on a blanket. Is there anything you can add to sweeten the deal, like something to trade or a skill to barter? As an example, I know knitters who want to have a database of their yarns and supplies, but don't want to sit down and compile it. Or who want nice photos in digital format of stuff they have made. And there's always the non-knitting related (except that it frees up time for more knitting) trades, like Xmas cookies and gift-wrapping.

Another thing to add: thinner fabric=smaller stitches=more hours knitting. Also, realize that this will take the equivalent of several days's work. There is a reason hand knitting is considered recreation and not often done for profit.

I suggest seeking out someone who does machine knitting. Then you're more likely to meet your deadline, and you won't have someone working 20+ hours for $150.00 less cost of materials. You could put "Machine knitter needed" on your flyer, or maybe look for groups online (I'm pretty sure there's a yahoo group for machine knitters).

Oh! I just got another idea. Maybe you can get a solid-color wool throw (or a white one) and either dye it the colors you want, or pay to have it done. I remember seeing a knit scarf online that was dyed with a stripe down the middle lengthwise after it was knit. In terms of labor, you're more likely to find someone willing to custom-dye than custom-knit you something, I think.

-S

knitting

There is a post on another forum craftbits.com, that says she wants to do knitting for free for people. She just requests that you send her the yarn and pattern you want done and when she is through she will send it back to you. The catch is that she lives in New Zealand.

Here's the post: http://www.craftbits.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206

Don't know if this helps or not, but may help someone.

Remove Ads

Ads