craft book score!! establishing a craft library

i'm sure all of us have a craft library, and it's one of my favorite topics. i'm slowly weeding out stuff i don't use (mostly 70s and 80s craft books from tag sales that i thought were cool, but really don't have stuff i will actually use! now the 60s books are a different story..) and making sure all the ones i have are ones i really want to have.

and i went to my favorite used book store last night. it's pendragon books in rockridge. they are the only place around here that i've found to sell marie claire ideÚs (hence my now three posts mentioning it!). they also have a great used/discounted craft books section. previously there, i've bought cheap frills for $5.

last night, they had instant gratification cardsfor $10! (though looking on amazon, i see i could have bought it for less than half that used. at least i supported an independant store). this book is great. i saw it in cody's a while ago, new, and sat down with it for an hour, looking through, taking notes, and i'm so glad to have this in my library now. the photos are great, and it really refreshed my desire to do some paper work soon.

i desperately want craftychicaaz's making shadow boxes and shrines book, and i think her new one for teens would be perfect for the sewing/craft room at the children's center i volunteer at.

i also want vintage treasures.i have and love vintage fabric style. my decoupage book of choice is the new crafts: decoupage one, which it looks like amazon is selling used for $2.75! i also have bonnell's DIY Girl and a few great sewing books and stitch guides.

anyone else make some new additions recently to their craft library? or have stuff they're on the lookout for?

2. # ADS

I got Vogue Knitting on the Go Beginner Basics from the library and was drooling over it so I bought it used from half.com. I crochet but want to learn how to knit. I'm too busy to go thru the book yet, I'm hoping when my class is over I can start working thru the cute projects.

Hey, Athos - what 70s craft books are you weeding out? I may be interested in some of those. The 70s seem to be my preferred decade.

There are two series of craft books that I am looking to complete:

Greystone's Creative Hands (also called Golden Hands)

These books are da bomb! So far, I only have volumes 1, 3, and 17. My dream is to own the entire series (22 in all).

I also like the Stitch by Stich series. The projects in those tend to be a little more dated, but I like them anyway. I only have volumes 1 and 2.

Attention to any of you thriftin' girls: I would be willing to reimburse you for these books (within reason, of course - I can get them online for "vintage" prices; that's not what I want).

I'm also looking to complete my Rusty Bensussen sewing book collection. She has a way of explaining pattern drafting that makes it all so easy. I'm desparately looking for Making a Complete Wardrobe from Four Basic Patterns. My library system used to have it, but now they don't. I love that book.

Sew a Beautiful Gift by Claire Shaeffer is another good sewing book that I'd recommend.

I definitely prefer the old sewing books to anything out there now. Modern books - if you can even find them - never seem to have any useful projects in them.

craft books are my weakness. i have hundreds of them. i get them for ideas, but then i want to do something new and fantastic so i don't use them anyway! but they are still great springboards for other inspirations.

athos - send me your address, i'll donate a crafty diva book for your center! maybe we can do a trade for another book you have!

oh craftychicaAZ, you are so sweet! i'll PM you with the address. and we can send you a thank you with the tax ID number and stuff too.

i'll post some titles of books and craft pamphlets i want to get rid of when i get home tonight! dawn, i don't have anything in that series you want, but maybe something else will interest you.

Remove Ads

Ads