Hiring a Website Builder?

Hi. I know absolutely nothing about websites or website building, hosting, etc. I know you all can help me decide what to do....

1. I could buy a book to learn and build my own. Is this conceivable? Know any good books? Know any good web hosting sites?

2. I could pay someone to build one for me with a picture upload tool so that I could manage it completely on my own at that point. If someone were to pay you to build them a fully functioning commerce website with a shopping cart, picture upload function, and cute layout (though nothing too fancy or flashy...) how much would you charge?

I confess I would probably rather pay someone at this point, but if it is really just too easy then I may have to tackle it myself. I do work at a computer software company so there are tons of website geeks (said fondly) who will help me...

Thanks for any input, suggestions, etc!

Keri

2. # ADS

I would:

1. Put a notice up a your local university saying you're looking for someone to design and build a simple site for you.

2. once they build it, you can update it yourself using a web-tool. you probably don't need an expensive photo uploading tool.

3. you can find your own hosting online by searching on google and doing comparison shopping.

4. i would get a web building for dummies book just to familiarize yourself with the language and terminiology.

good luck!

When hiring be sure to have a few example sites that you want yours to look like, or else you might end up with something either too fancy or something too simplistic. Finding similar sites though on different topics can be a good way to ask the site owner what they use and if they like it.

But hey if you've got web dorks all around and you're interested in learning how (do you have a strain of dork in yourself?) making websites is fun. There are lots of premade carts you can buy or lease (not sure how it works) so you wouldn't have to get into the detailed coding guts for that, same I think for picture uploads. Just be sure you've got your design ready before meeting with the dorks, cause dorks tend to have lesser design skills, though that's totally not always the case. Who knows, maybe one or two of them will want to do it for you for a swap of some kind like bringing them yummy lunches once a week for a month.

you can hire me to build it if you want. :) i can use 3rd party apps to get the cost to a more reasonable level so that you can manage a lot of it yourself. PM me with specifics of what you need. I used to work at zoovy designing storefronts all the time, and did a lot of corporate web design for Universal Studios. I need to know things like, do you need to sell internationally all the way? How are you going to handle shipping (by weight, by flat rate, etc).. how many pages initially?

also www.echoecho.com and www.htmlgoodies.com are good places to learn html. you dont need a book. they are overrated. but websites only look good if you're also skilled at photoshop (or other graphics apps)

Also, you can build a store by hand using the paypal cart and get that cost down a lot too.

For hosting i recommend http://www.zerolag.com - they can match lots of rates and are really great for beginners. Mention that you know me and stuff.

The problem with building it yourself is that it's really hard to get a polished and professional look right away. If it's a business you should pay someone to make it. If it's for fun, do it yourself. If it's a business with no income yet, you should do it yourself and save up for a nice site. It really does make a huge difference, and it helps greatly to have features and look that other people don't have. With billions and billions of sites out there, yours needs to stand out.

If you like to learn using books, I have really liked the Visual Quickstart series of books by Peachpit Press.

I have the one on HTML, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, & Javascript and they are all good.

Another good book for beginner web-sters is Robin Williams' "Non-Designers Web Design book" or someting like that.

If you are low on funds I would recommend recruiting one of your coworkers for a trade or cut rate, especially of you don't need a very large site which someone experienced could probably turn around pretty quickly. I haven't freelanced for awhile but a friend of mine charges $35/hour (last I heard) strictly for web design, no programming, which is on the low end I believe. This also can depend on the area you live in.

Also, this site offers a free gallery software to manage photos.

http://gallery.menalto.com/index.php

I've never tried it so I can't tell you if it's any good or not but hey, it's free. Good luck!

I did my web hosting through www.doodlebabies.com. Stacey is really helpful and responds promptly to my questions/concerns. Her web hosting rate is inexpensive, but you do have to pay a one time shopping cart set up fee. What is nice is that you can choose a template and be up and running pretty easily. I paid her to do a template for me that works with her cart.

Hope that helps!
    -Kari

gallery is *the BEST* .. ive been using that for a few years.. its awesome *drool* =) you can even configure the header so it matches pretty well like i did on http://www.penguinpalace.com

also you can make accounts for people to upload stuff too ( like if you have employees or whatever).. and you can batch resize. there's a desktop app too.

Quote Originally Posted by sharonius
    Also, this site offers a free gallery software to manage photos.

http://gallery.menalto.com/index.php

I've never tried it so I can't tell you if it's any good or not but hey, it's free. Good luck!

I think, it depends on your possibilities and desire. If you don't want to do this work by yourself and don't have time, it is better to hire a professional. In case you are on a budget or want to save money, it is possible to build a website without help. There are several ways you can choose. Personally I recommend to use one of the website builders as they are easy-to-use and don't require any coding knowledge. But I think, it is better to start with reading a review about them in order to find out all pros and cons of every builder and to choose a proper one. If you are interested, you can check the info about Top 15 Best Free Website Builders for 2019 (with comparison table). I hope, you will find it to be useful. Good luck!

Remove Ads

Ads